Strut rods

-

lilhows340

Reaction score
I am doing front suspension bushings in my 72 Demon and found front of strut rod has a grove worn in it from rubbing on K frame. Was thinking of migging and grinding for repair. Has anyone tried this before or would it weaken it.
Thanks Jeff

I’ve had several mopars and never have I seen a strut rod wearing against the K member. You might have other problems.

I’ve seen it before when the big round bushings wear out.... but check the lower control arm bushings. They are likely shot also. As for your question:
If you mig up and rebuild the metal then grind them back to diameter, it will be weak. Not from the welding (okay you need to follow Proper welding procedures). The weakness comes from the grinding. Those were hot drawn thru die so grinding marks “could possibly” be a weak point.
“Could”
Joe

Search
RMS or P-S-T adjustable strut rods.
You will like these so much better than the factory set up, and no they will not make your car ride harsh.

I am doing front suspension bushings in my 72 Demon and found front of strut rod has a grove worn in it from rubbing on K frame. Was thinking of migging and grinding for repair. Has anyone tried this before or would it weaken it.
Thanks Jeff
I WOULDN`T BE AFRAID OF BUILDING IT UP, IF IT ISN`T TERRIBLY WORN, it`s only supposed to be a straight line load/pull for the most part.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it a shot and will take some pics. The P-S-T replacement bushings have a sleeve that will cover the worn spot. I assume they also fit the larger size strut rod that I think they changed to after 72. I'll know better When I do my 73 Scamp.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it a shot and will take some pics. The P-S-T replacement bushings have a sleeve that will cover the worn spot. I assume they also fit the larger size strut rod that I think they changed to after 72. I'll know better When I do my 73 Scamp.

Thank you for posting this!!!
I'm in the middle of re-doing my Demon's front end and realized that the Moog Kit did not come with a sleeve.
Did these cars have a sleeve from the factory?
If not, I may end up ordering the Energy Suspension kit that comes with the sleeve.
Energy Suspension kit has good reviews from Summitt while the Prothane kit did not.
I hope you don't mind me chiming in on your thread....
Thanks!

No my strut rods didn't have a sleeve, they came with bushings without then they would fit very sloppy. I checked my 73 and it has a larger thread size haven't taken it apart yet to check shaft diameter.

-
Back