Stuck in 1st gear! HELP what happened?

-

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
Took my car out for the first time since restoration. My first mile drive things went great.Came home washed car and took it up the lane again and shes locked in first. I don't have the hump in yet so I easily unhooked the rods ,shifter works but can't move the 1st gear shift hookup(which i believe is the highest and most forward one) on the tranny. I'm at a loss. I need your help!!!! WHAT HAPPENED...

sounds like it's jambed in first. Jack the car up, or at least
the back tires. With the shifter rods unhooked, take a pair of
slip joint pliers. Rotate the tires or driveshaft back and forth
while trying to get both of the shift forks back to neutral.
If you can't, some things jambed in the trans.
If it come out, adjust the shifter and rods to neutral. Try
to install rods and try the shifter. Good luck.

The farthest forward & highest up lever on the trans is for 3rd & 4th gears. It shouldn't move until you get the the other lever located in the side cover into the center position.

Yep, prolly in between 1st/rev. Had it happen to me few times awhile back before I got the rods properly adjusted. Just crawl under there and use a wrench to get enough leverage and jimmy the levers both back into neutral. No need to undo anything.

Make sure you chock the wheels if your doing it on the ground. Though the easiest way to get it to release is to rock the car while wrenching on the lever bolts.

Greg If Fabo Can't Fix It Junk It. The Duster Is Fine And Looking Good. Hope It Is Warm There By Now. Steve

-
Back