Stuck in gear

-

gonzomn

Reaction score
Took the Dart for a drive yesterday. The trans (4 spd) stuck in 3rd. I turned around & was heading home & was able to get it to start shifting again. Turned back around and went to a car show. The Dart shifted fine the rest of the way to the show and almost all the way home. Stopped at a light in town (didn't downshift). When I went to put the trans in 1st the trans was stuck in 4th. The shifter would move but it wouldn't go into any other gear. Put the shifter in 4th, got going & the thing started shifting just fine again.

Any ideas?

I had this problem only 10 times worse. It ended up being my syncros going out. My problem was 2nd and 3rd gear getting stuck. Id have to nurse it home and use a hammer and a punch to get it out of gear.

Check the nuts that hold the flat bell crank type pieces(unsure of name of them) where the shifting arms attach on the trans.
I had them loosen on my RR and would cause this.

If the problem is only the 3-4 shift, check that the four bell housing-trans bolts are tight. Because they go into aluminum the threads can easily wear. Mine got loose causing the input shaft and output shaft to misalign. I was stuck in fourth with the OD trans. I burnt up a clutch getting started at a light going up hill. The car did get going but I made a lot of smoke LOL.

-
Back