Stuck Lap Belts

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Is there any way to "unlock my seatbelts"? The floor mounted lap/seat belts in my Duster will not pull out and when they do they seem to not pull out all the way and this makes it very difficult to fasten the belts. I cannot figure out whats the deal with them. They are not folded or twisted and I was able to retract them all the way into the floor mounted holders. I have tried to pull the belts out slowly and wiggle them around and even push em' back in and try to work them free without any success.

Had the same with my '73 Dart -- a fight with the belt retractors every time I and my passenger went to belt in. The lock plate tends to get "grabby" with age; lubrication will limber it up.

Remove the retractor/reel assembly from its floor mount. Refer to TSB 23-14-73C (pages 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5) for how to get access to the reel assembly. Hold the locking plate away from the toothed wheel and pull the belt all the way out. Spray both ends of the reel and every other pivot/slide point (lock plate, tooth wheel, etc.) with a good grade of silicone lube. I like CRC's Heavy Duty Silicone (red and white can). Adjust the lock plate per TSB 23-15-74D (pages 1 • 2 • 3 • 4). Then pull the belt out and let it retract several times; you should notice it's much easier. Pull the belt out all the way and spray both sides of it with the silicone, moving the spray nozzle back and forth to cover the full width of the belt. It'll dry quickly enough not to make a mess of your clothes. Shoot a shot of silicone into each of the buckle latches through the tongue slot. Reinstall the belts and you should be all set.

Slant six Dan: Can you re-post the TSB info on how to un-stick your seat belts. Also, how can you coat your seat belts with silicone lube without filling them up with oil and staining your clothes and car upholstery with oil stains?

-
Back