Stuck Pressure Relief Valve

-

73dart_swinger

Reaction score
Last week, I topped my oil off with some Lucas. What I think happened is that Lucas got into the relief valve and stuck it. I thought it was a faulty gauge making my oil pressure run near zero at idle and only around 30 while driving.

I replaced the gauge and started the car several times before deciding it was not the gauge. At no time during any of this, did the car make any noise or do anything that made me think that something catastrophic had happened.

I then cleaned the pressure relief valve and replaced it. Oil pressure returned to normal. I then changed the oil and filtered everything I drained out to look for any metal. I did not find any. I then cut open the filter and DID find metal shavings in the filter that were magnetic.

I took the filter to the guy that built the engine and had him take a look at it. He suggested that I drive the car and keep a close eye on it and see what happens. He did not feel like what we found in the filter was far enough out of the ordinary to be overly concerned.

I drove the car a couple of miles yesterday and pressure remained normal. Is it sound advice to drive the car and see what happens or is there something else I should do or check to make sure I don't damage the engine?

If there isn't any metal in the pan or the pick up screen but there is metal in the oil pump/relief valve, and the filter, I would be replacing the oil pump itself.

What is Lucas? An oil additive? What weight oil were you running......because when you run oil additives, you change all that. Oil additives are one of the biggest gimmicks ever.

What is Lucas? An oil additive? What weight oil were you running......because when you run oil additives, you change all that. Oil additives are one of the biggest gimmicks ever.
lucas has sum of the best oil additives on the market I use them for everything.and I doubt If it had any thing to do with his trouble..just my thought.......Artie

Let's get something straight about oil additives. When you add an additve to your oil, it is no longer the weight and viscosity it was when you bought it. It's like changing a cake recipie. I can think of maybe one or two oil additives on the market that I would ever recommend. One is called Engine Restore and comes in a chrome colored can. It WORKS as advertised, but is designed for older engines that use oil. It fills in scratches on the cylinder walls and actually restores compression and eliminates burning oil in most instances. Daddy used STP for years in his old Falcon. His reason was that it extended the periods that you had to change the oil.....and that was part of its advertisement. But I had to do a complete engine rebuild on that car my senior year in high school. The reason? STP had cause major sludge buildup because he did not change the oil enough and because of chemical reactions that created even more sludge. Use oil additives if you want to, but for the most part it's a stupid idea.

lucas has sum of the best oil additives on the market I use them for everything.and I doubt If it had any thing to do with his trouble..just my thought.......Artie

Show me where I said it had anything to do with his problem.

I think he is referring to my statement about the Lucas causing the issue. All I know is that when I pulled that valve apart, it was full and sticky goo that was not all oil. Felt very much like the Lucas I had put in. I don't know if that caused it or not, but I won't be using any more oil additives.

But back to my original question, should I drive the car and do another oil change in 500 to 1000 miles and check again or not risk further damage to the motor if there is another suggestion?

I think he is referring to my statement about the Lucas causing the issue. All I know is that when I pulled that valve apart, it was full and sticky goo that was not all oil. Felt very much like the Lucas I had put in. I don't know if that caused it or not, but I won't be using any more oil additives.

But back to my original question, should I drive the car and do another oil change in 500 to 1000 miles and check again or not risk further damage to the motor if there is another suggestion?

I would if it was mine.

-
Back