studying watts links

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for some input. I've been studying different watts link setups. Does anyone know what the difference would be between:

A. mounting the pivot point to a stationary location across the chassis and having the end links attach to the axle. or

B. mounting the pivot point to the housing center and attaching the end links to the frame.

I've seen both and it may not make a difference in how it functions. I am just curious.

A: Less unsprung weight

B: More unsprung weight

No it makes no difference in function, I'm sure it would perform almost the same either way with minor changes but I believe the A option to be superior. Been doing some research and thinking of putting one on my car actually but I might go with a 4 link.

if you build a watts linkage, make sure you make the pivots point adjustable up and down. You can fine tune your rear roll center with that. The wife's 2006 durango has a watts linkage.

And... as a FYI, the Sam Posey TA Challenger team in the 1970 Trans-am series had the watts linkage set up in there car, and The AAR team had the conventional leaf spring rear, the leaf cars would always be superiour in terms of handling and foward bite out of the corners.. Sam Posey hisself commented on this...

-
Back