Stumped...what are these for?

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
After getting my car up on a rotisserie this past weekend, I found something that has me stumped. I bought the car as a basket case essentially with many parts removed and not marked very well. The victim is a 71 Dart, 318 car. What I found were two bolts screwed into threaded holes on the bottom side of the driver's side front frame rail. The bolts in question are both positioned in between the two bolts that hold the K-frame to the rails. There are not any holes in a similar location on the passenger side of the car. I cannot figure out what these bolts are there for. ](*,) Can anyone help me out here? Thanks. L8r

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 301
I think those are the 2 bolts that hold the plastic splash shields in place......

I think those are the 2 bolts that hold the plastic splash shields in place......

Thanks. Which splash shields? The only ones I can think of are on the back side of the wheel well that run vertically along the firewall. What do these look like? Wouldn't there be one on both sides of the engine compartment in the same place? thanks again. L8r

Jim

There are actually 2 sets... one set is metal and have a notch for the strut rods, and the other set is plastic L-shaped triangular pieces.. I have both for my 73, but sitting on a shelf somewhere. I'll see if I can get a pic tonight.
P.S. don't quote me on any of that as I haven't seen them in years :lol:

..........the Dumb *** trophy, that is. I took a closer look last night and there are holes in the same location on the passenger side frame rail. The holes were smaller that what I thought they should be because, without taking the bolts out, I thought the driver side bolts were held in by speed nuts. They are really only sheet metal screws. ](*,) Thanks to those who responded. Now I can add the front splash guards to my list of parts to acquire. L8r

Jim

-
Back