Stupid Cam Question

-

matthon

Reaction score
I got this cam and lifters for free, and it was run in an engine for a while, not sure how long.
Is it a boat anchor now, or can it be used?

Attachments

• DSC06675.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC06676.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC06677.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC06678.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC06679.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 186
Unless you know for SURE which lifters go on which EXACT lobe, get new lifters. As long as you do that, you should be ok.

I was thinking that might be the answer, or I could be an idiot for even thinking I could use it. For what its worth, I don't think it was run very long in the engine.

It doesn't matter. If it was run 10 minutes and you don't know which lifters came off which lobes, it's too long. Not a stupid question at all. At least you have what appears to be a good cam so you have that much you don't have to buy. Just remember you need to break it all in just like you would a new cam and lifter set. Don't forget the zinc.

10-4
Thank you.

Can I use stock valve springs with a non-stock cam?

I bought a rebuilt short block bored with new flat top pistons, bearings, rings, and I was thinking I could use this cam with the heads I have, the 750 Holley I rebuilt, and a yet to be determined intake.
The heads are '67 915s, that were allegedly rebuilt.

The goal is to put this together so I can drive the car, and save the original engine for another day.

!st,do u know the specs on cam? the intake and exhaust lift? since it is used chk the lobes with a micrometer too see if consistant and no flattened lobes, if that chks out good then it should be ok to use, next if lifters are not pitted and has what appears to be surface oxidation then clean and polish them and chk for wear unusual concaveness,or wear patterns do not use sandpaper,use regular steel wool or synthetic to clean ends,air blow any derbis and wipe off with a clean oiled rag and oil the cam and lifters lightly,since it is a used cam it has already been broken in and assuming they were the same lifters it was broken in with I would use them with some lube on bottom of lifter as u install them onto cam,done this many times with good results...this is my opinion and u'll find many who disagree with the lifter issue concerning what lifter came off what lobe which in ideal situations should be the way to do it,but if this is not the case then chk everything good and if it chks out use them, and the zinc is a strongly recomended item in todays crappy oil when u assemble engine components, as far as valve springs stock ones have alot to be desired if the cam has more than stock lift,chk ur cam specs for spring recomendations and use accordingly...and if u have doubts concerning lifters then get new ones....

I looked up the specs on the cam, but I do not understand this enough to select valve springs.
I see your point on using the lifters, and I will check them and the cam out more closely, but since I am saving a few bucks on the cam, new lifters seems reasonable.

It has been a very long time since I put together an engine, and I have no desire to send it out to someone else- I would rather learn what I need to and put it together myself, (and learn from my mistakes- hope not!).

Product Description
Hydraulic. The most awesome 268 cam ever produced! Out-powers all others! This High Performance street cam likes 2400 RPM stall, 800 cfm carb, dual plane intake and headers. Makes un-equaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs. Very strong cam with great street manners.

•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
•LSA/ICL: 110/106
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 1800-6200

If you know the specs on the cam, call Summit. They can sell you the correct valve springs. Also, you need to read any camshaft manufacturer's site. It is very clear in black and white not to run used lifters unless they have been kept with their assigned lobes at break in. You will be asking for trouble.

I looked up the specs on the cam, Product Description

Hydraulic. The most awesome 268 cam ever produced! Out-powers all others! This High Performance street cam likes 2400 RPM stall, 800 cfm carb, dual plane intake and headers. Makes un-equaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs. Very strong cam with great street manners.

•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
•LSA/ICL: 110/106
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 1800-6200

That's close to the Chet Herbert cam that I have in my 383 in my '68 Dart.

750 Holley, Eddy PerF-RPM manifold, Schumacher headers..

My cam has a noticeable "choppy" idle (LS: 108 )

I used stock springs, Isky lifters, Crane ductile iron rockers /pushrods.

It's no "End all-Be all" type cam, but it's a good cam for daily driver / street application.

I have a 2500-RPM TC and 3.91 gears.

I've been driving it almost daily since 2005, no issues.

--

-
Back