Stupid Converter Question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Just got done reinstalling my trans with new converter. I was going through the FSM for my 68 Dart and it said to grease the front converter hub when attaching the trans to the engine. Why is this??? I didn't do this and am wondering if I messed up. Everything seemed to go together fine.

Thanks guys.

Because it has a bearing inside the trans the converter flange slips into and the mating of the two parts is crucial to prevent leaking. That's about it

I believe that's for the seal.....so it doesn't bind and pull the spring out of it?

They are talking about the "Snout" of the converter that mates with the rear crankshaft bore. Grease is an aid to assembly and a barrier to rust. If you got it assembled OK then I would not worry about it

Yeah, they are talking about the front snout of the converter that mates with the crank. I figured it was just ease assembly, but figured I asked. I really don't feel like dropping the trans just to grease that hub.

If it's all together I'd just run it. If it starts to leak from the front pump seal then pull it down and replace seal. There's a good chance you'll be fine as there was likely some trans fluid on the hub when you installed it.

You did fill the converter correct?

If it's all together I'd just run it. If it starts to leak from the front pump seal then pull it down and replace seal. There's a good chance you'll be fine as there was likely some trans fluid on the hub when you installed it.

You did fill the converter correct?

I did smear some trans fluid on the snout of the converter that rides on the pump seal. That's not what I was questioning. The service manual states to put wheel bearing grease on the hub of the converter that mates with the crank. I didn't do that and was wondering why they call for it or if I needed to drop the trans to do it. Sounds like it's just for assembly and rust prevention. I should be fine. And yes, I put a qt oil fluid in the converter.

Your good to go then. No worries. Never done that to any of my rides over the years and they come apart just fine.

-
Back