stupid horn question

-

wp23n

Reaction score
the horn on the 73 scamp i just bought isnt working, no click, nothing.

now i sure would like to test it at the horn BUT i cant find the damn thing
stupid i know but i have searched all over the engine compartment and unless its bolted to the bottom of the battery tray ( only place i didnt think to look) i dont think the horn/s are there.

if someone can tell me where it/they are supposed to be i would appreciate it.

I can't say for sure on a scamp but on my dart thats exactly where it is, under the battery tray.

under the battery tray on my 73 swinger

exactly, only place i didnt look yesterday and there they are.....
tested at wiring and no juice when i blow the horn.

now where is ther horn relay? not getting a click or anything

as you guys can tell i havent been able to pick up a repair manual yet

Horn relay is above left kick panel. If the buzzer portion of it is still working, you can find it easily by putting the key in the ignition, opening the door, and finding the buzz box. Then pull the thin yellow wire off it to silence that annoying buzzer forever. If you do not feel like hunting up an exact-replacement horn relay, any reputable-brand 25A (or better) NO relay will do the job just fine.

Horn relay is above left kick panel. If the buzzer portion of it is still working, you can find it easily by putting the key in the ignition, opening the door, and finding the buzz box. Then pull the thin yellow wire off it to silence that annoying buzzer forever. If you do not feel like hunting up an exact-replacement horn relay, any reputable-brand 25A (or better) NO relay will do the job just fine.

wow Dan, you are a boon of knowledge. i will look tomorrow while
doing my other work on the car.

i have isolated the problem to the contacts in the steering wheel.
what is the best way to clean them?

this is the wheel
steeringwheel.jpg

You've got a unitised triplex switch in there: there is one spring-loaded switch behind each of the three soft plastic horn buttons . The switch completes the ground for the horn relay trigger (coil) circuit. Pry off the central 3-armed hard plastic steering wheel trim and find the wire. Ground it; if the horn sounds you need a new horn switch (which means finding a good used one or searching for NOS). If not then remove the steering wheel and clean the contact ring on the back of the wheel and the spring-loaded roller contact that sticks up from the turn signal switch. Ground that roller contact and the horn should sound. If not, the problem's in the wire between the turn signal switch and the horn relay.

You've got a unitised triplex switch in there: there is one spring-loaded switch behind each of the three soft plastic horn buttons . The switch completes the ground for the horn relay trigger (coil) circuit. Pry off the central 3-armed hard plastic steering wheel trim and find the wire. Ground it; if the horn sounds you need a new horn switch (which means finding a good used one or searching for NOS). If not then remove the steering wheel and clean the contact ring on the back of the wheel and the spring-loaded roller contact that sticks up from the turn signal switch. Ground that roller contact and the horn should sound. If not, the problem's in the wire between the turn signal switch and the horn relay.

Dan,
got the horn to blow intermintantly, pulled the bottom button apart and found what looks like 4 eraser tips inside and loads of crud so i cleaned them up and put it back together but still no horn from that switch. the other 2 im afraid to pull apart for fear of completely screwing them up.
i can get the horn to blow if i hit the 10 and 2 buttons in the right spot

Have you pulled the steering wheel and cleaned the contacts in the steering column ?

no i havent done that as i dont think i need to, when i jump the wires
at each button the horn blows every time so i believe the contact is
good in the column. just seems to be the damn buttons im going to play with the one i already cleaned and if i cant make it work maybe try and retor fit a single button under each pad.

Any final happy ending to this story and if not couldn't you just hook up a button and hard wire it.

-
Back