stupid question.... answer needed

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I tried a little while ago to get the plug out of the back of the rearend cover on a 7.25 rearend that is in the 69 Valiant and it wouldn't budge. I have to get it out this week somehow for sure but the question is : is that where you check the fluid level on this rearend. I don't have it in the garage right now and I really didn't look but it seems to me that the plug was awful high on the cover. is that where you check the level. remove the plug and stick you finger in one joint. I have only messed with an 8 3/4 so this is new to me. I didn't want to get too much fluid in there. I will probably have to remove the cover and heat the plug and replace the gasket.

That should be it. Does it have a hole to put a square drive into like a socket extension?

Yeah, that's the place to check and fill. If the hole in the plug is stripped, heat it with a torch and use a chisel and ha,met to tap it open counterclockwise. If it is not stripped, then a square drive extension should fit it.

so the proper way to check the level is stick your finger in the hole and it should be up to the first joint of the finger. That seemed a little high to me but I have never dealt with one of these rearends. This has a 1/2" square plug but I couldn't get it to break loose the last tome. put a 1/2" impact on it and still didn't come out. I am going to remove the cover Monday and heat the plug and see if that will do it. Just bought this car end of last year and have not driven it much at all and need to check this out. thanks for the info.

so the proper way to check the level is stick your finger in the hole and it should be up to the first joint of the finger.

Pretty much there Bill.

I would just pull the darn thing and change the fluid and pop a new gasket on it, no telling how long it's been there, lol.

I think that is what I am gonna do. I got the gasket already. that way I can see what the fluid looks like. thanks.

I looked at the plug tonight and I don't know why I thought it was higher than that. well, like I said, stupid question.

-
Back