Stupid will it work question

-

LilPaul

Reaction score
After sinking money’s into getting my 73 duster running, and for not having started since 96 it runs tremendously well! We did everything right, new fuel system ( tank,sender, pumps, and lines.). And pretty much a complet tune up on the old slant 6 and swapping out power steering unit and water pump. It will be a little while before I have the extra cash to put new tires on the car. A friend offered to let me use a set. Problem is the ties don’t fit my stock rims and the only way I could make it work would be to use his rims, 67 firebird Rally rims with a pattern adapter. The front wheel is p205/70r14 93s. It has a 4 inch back spacing and the adapters would be 1 1/4”. And the back are p245/60r14 98s with 41/2” back spacing and the adapter. I know it’s wrong and the last thing that belong on this care are fire bird wheels but it would at least get the car on the trailer so I can go to the DMV to get the inspection to get the bonded title or should I just wait the few months and put a cheapy set of tires on the stock rims.

57904E46-0C54-471D-A635-A6EE27C65581.jpeg

69384B60-A038-4030-B7B2-4D85668EDBC0.jpeg

DDB691FD-2B08-4A66-8AC0-E1975196D565.jpeg

You can buy brand new Dextero 14 inch tires at WalMart many sizes between $40-$45 each. Fine for a 6 cylinder. The factory hubcaps can be had for a couple of bucks apiece (I'm taking a stack to Carlisle for $1 each). It's not the Pontiac wheels, I get pretty scared of wheel adapters.

Actually, the 205 70 14s would probably go on the stock steel Duster rims (they were either 5 1/2 inch or 4 1/2 inches wide). So mount them up and put them on the back then get the Dexteros for the front. Cheap Solution!

Last edited:
You can buy brand new 14 inch tires at WalMart many sizes between $40-$45. Fine for a 6 cylinder. The factory hubcaps can be had for a couple of bucks apiece (I'm taking a stack to Carlisle for $1 each). It's not the Pontiac wheels, I get pretty scared of wheel adapters.
I didn’t think about Walmart that’s not a bad price I looked at Firestone and they were $80 each. I’m scared of the adapters to and really don’t t want to do it. I wasn’t planing on driving far just onto trailer and off in a parking lot a few times. I will go price Walmart thank you.

Once you add the spacers to make your friends wheels bolt up they’ll stick out too far.

The spacer/adaptors themselves are fine as long as you torque them to spec and check the torque as indicated. Plenty of applications use spacers just like that with no issues at all. But your friends wheels don’t have enough backspace to lose 1.25” to the spacers, so in this case it won’t work anyway.

I run the WalMart 15 inch Dexteros on my car trailer. They are under $50 each and hold up very well. I actually priced a set at $44 each yesterday for my upcoming trip

I would think that the adaptors would cost about as much as tires anyway, unless you already have them.

Once you add the spacers to make your friends wheels bolt up they’ll stick out too far.

The spacer/adaptors themselves are fine as long as you torque them to spec and check the torque as indicated. Plenty of applications use spacers just like that with no issues at all. But your friends wheels don’t have enough backspace to lose 1.25” to the spacers, so in this case it won’t work anyway.
Thank you very much for the information. Looks like I’m saving up for some new tires. Thank you!

I run the WalMart 15 inch Dexteros on my car trailer. They are under $50 each and hold up very well. I actually priced a set at $44 each yesterday for my upcoming trip
Thank you. We will be heading to Walmart tomorrow so I will price them with install. You just saved me a bunch of money thank you!!!

I would think that the adaptors would cost about as much as tires anyway, unless you already have them.
I found a set of 4 for $90. But at that point it looks like cheapy tires will be the best choice to get me rolling

Are you actually ready to drive it, or just looking for roller wheels? Always used tires around somewhere for $0 to 20... I waited till I was ready to drive mine to put tires on. Right before I got it inspected and insured. Had I bought good tires to move it around, they would have been dry rotted by the time I actually hit the street.

Are you actually ready to drive it, or just looking for roller wheels? Always used tires around somewhere for $0 to 20... I waited till I was ready to drive mine to put tires on. Right before I got it inspected and insured. Had I bought good tires to move it around, they would have been dry rotted by the time I actually hit the street.
It’s close to being drivable at least for short neighborhood driving.

It’s close to being drivable at least for short neighborhood driving.
I'd
still be checking around craigslist, etc. Maybe another member in the area... for some used tires that will get you rolling. Save the $ for good tires later. What is you wheel width and what do you want to end up with. I got useable rollers on 5.5" wides from one member till I was ready to buy my Tiger Paws (215 70 14 all around). Then gave my 4.5s (not great but still holding air) to anotehr member for rolling one of his projects. $0 changed hands and 2 problems solved! Actually 3, cause Ray wanted the tires out of the way...

-
Back