sub and audio decisions

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
this is on my 70 duster project.

it had (until last week) a 1000 watt amp (i think phoenix gold?) and 10 inch Sony explode sub in the trunk. this has never hit well, or been very audible over the 3 inch exhaust or slick shifted 4 speed.

the rest of the system consists of:
6X9 3 way Sony explode rear deck speakers
6.5 blaupunkt components in the front kicks
no-name 4 inch dual cone (2 of em!) in the center of the dash)
Kenwood EZ500 deck
rampage 200 watt amp driving the components.

i know some of this audio equipment is crap. I'm OK with it being crap. it sounds pretty good, though. the rampage amp is on its last legs (keeps cutting out. going into thermal overload, though is cool to the touch).

i have a 12 inch JL sub from the Early 90's in a wal-mart box powered by a Sony explode 800 watt amp in my truck that hits more than hard enough for what i listen to. (mostly metal, country, contemporary christian, and bluegrass. little rap when I'm feeling it.)

i would like to get the same kind of hit in my duster, without it costing an arm and a leg, or encroaching too much on my trunk space.

on the shelf, i have an 800 watt "blue wave" 2 channel amp. works. well, the last time i had it hooked to anything was 2002, but it shouldn't have gone bad sitting there. I'm thinking of using this to power my components, as i almost guarantee that its not pushing 400 watts a channel RMS. my guess is closer to 100 RMS, which shouldn't overpower my blaus, right?

in the trunk, I'm kicking around ideas. remember, this is just supposed to be audible at highway speeds with the windows down, and the tranny whining.

first idea:
use the 2 10 inch pioneer subs that i bought new from best buy in the early 2000's. mount them inverted in sealed boxes, and put them to the 1000 watt amp. put the enclosures behind plexi and back light it to make it look cool.

second idea:
pair of wal-mart 12's, done the same way

third idea:
single 12, hidden in the trunk, powered by the 1000 watt.

I'm pretty much guessing in the dark here, and trying to figure out what i want and how to get there. so suggestions are needed. again, not going for max sound quality, or max volume, just something that sounds pretty good and is pretty loud.

and here's what I'm working with. more can be found in t
he projects section.

Picture233-1.jpg

Picture213.jpg

michael

-
Back