Subframe connectors

-
Seems like every place I went to buy metal for projects wanted a fortune, and all the scrap places are no longer dealing pieces to the public. They just want to deal with large recycling accounts. It seemed cheaper to just order a ready made product......unfortunately.

BMG metals

View attachment 1715052624

The red brick has a full roll cage in it.

I know Bob Reed with the red 68 Baracuda that was in Hot Rod with just frame connectors (pictured above), drove the red brick at willow springs years ago.

He said the difference from just frame connectors to the roll cage in the red brick was huge with a stiff sprung high effort handling/track type build.

Here's Bob's old barracuda: 1968 Plymouth Barracuda S340 - Featured Vehicles - Car Craft Magazine
Wow, Those headers have great ground clearance. Who made those?

I know Bob Reed with the red 68 Baracuda that was in Hot Rod with just frame connectors (pictured above), drove the red brick at willow springs years ago.

He said the difference from just frame connectors to the roll cage in the red brick was huge with a stiff sprung high effort handling/track type build.

Here's Bob's old barracuda: 1968 Plymouth Barracuda S340 - Featured Vehicles - Car Craft Magazine

Thanks for that info on the barracuda! Always nice to see another handling car and take a looks at the "tricks" they used.

I'm sure a cage is stiffer, I was going off another post about the red brick's subframe connectors and I totally forgot it has a cage as well. Which was pretty sill because I have pictures of that car showing the cage. :rolleyes:

For chassis stiffening you can't beat a cage, but for a street car I don't think they're totally practical. Or at least they have a lot of cons that come with using them in a car still being used for street duty.

Wow, Those headers have great ground clearance. Who made those?

They're Doug's. Best ground clearance you can get from a long tube header, even slightly better than the long tube TTI's. Only way to get more is the tti shorty headers.

Last edited:

He said the difference from just frame connectors to the roll cage in the red brick was huge with a stiff sprung high effort handling/track type build. The roll cage really tied everything together.

Yep, hit my head on that cage a couple of times. It does have subframe connectors as well.

I have wanted Bob Reed's old Barracuda ever since I read that article. Anyone know where it ended up? I've been Mopar-less for 6 months now.

Yep, hit my head on that cage a couple of times. It does have subframe connectors as well.

I have wanted Bob Reed's old Barracuda ever since I read that article. Anyone know where it ended up? I've been Mopar-less for 6 months now.

Colorado. New owner posted on Moparts few years ago.

IIRC, bob sold it for it for under 30k. It's and original 68 340 4 spd car. IIRC, Numbers block and trans went with it.

-
Back