Subframes

-
Reaction score
I found what appears to be a very fine "71 Demon body, with the exception of very rusty front & rear subframes. Has any body replaced subframes & or floor pans. I would like to have details if possible, body support, glass removal, & engine & drive train removal during subframe & or floor pan replacement, how did you do it?

I'm in the process of replacing my floor pans. Here's a link to pics: http://rhphoto.com/1970_dodge_dart/ The floors have been out for weeks while I've been patching all sorts of defects and cleaning things up.

Haven't had to replace any subframes though.

If you decide to tackle this. I have the rails and some other parts to do it.

It's not hard to do... measure measure measure... then measure again.

The factory tolerance were... well lets say, pretty generous.

Yes, we did it to my '69 Valiant. Read all about it here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=15895

We put in new front frame, parts of the rear frame, new inner rockers and all new floor pans. Very big job, not for the meek.

It was the first project like this for both of us. I now know why a rusty shell goes for $500 while a nice rust free California shell goes for $5000. The $4500 difference is well worth it!

What I mean is, it's a lot of work and probably not worth it unless you want to be busy, want to learn and want to do the work because you enjoy it and love it. Don't do it for money or because you think you're car will be worth tons of money after. It won't be. It'll never be the same as a rust free car and you'll be lucky if you finish and don't give up half way through. The price for the parts is expensive too. You can't buy the center seat perch area of the floor, you have to find a donor car for that, same with the frame I guess. We got lucky and got the center floor for $125, the front frame for $75 and one front pan for $80, the other front pan I already had.

That being said, I really enjoyed the experience, learned a million things and I would do it again, but only on a rare or high dollar car. Plentiful A-bodies probably aren't worth the trouble unless you love your car for some reason like you were born in it. :)

Have to agree with 65s. I am totally impressed with the amount of work they did on the Valiant! However, it is a lot of work to do, and will often cause you to lose interest quickly. IMO if the car is a factory performance version, it is worth saving. If it is simply a plain jane version, keep it for parts, and shop for one with solid frame rails.

Grant

-
Back