Suggestions for a scamp about a Scamp

-

squekyandbill

Reaction score
Lookin at a '72 Scamp.. Owner replaced factory tranny with a 732 and added 8 3/4 suspension w/ new air shocks, has the stock 318 V8-2brl carb, a new windshield, and hey a new CD player just for kicks! Interior has all been re carpeted along with the trunk, paint was professionally done 10 years ago, not a spot of rust anywhere on the body. Frame is in excellent shape, no rust on the frame or wheelwells except a small spot where the fender meets the wheelwell and is bent back.. Not visible and could easily be eradicated with a wirebrush. New Michelin tires... exhaust is gonna need replaced soon... Some cracks in vinyl on rear seat.. I couldn't drive it because the plates are expired but I fired it up and it ran perfectly, it can still burn rubber haha. Owner mentioned some minor carb problems but claims to have just rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the fuel system. He said there's no slippage with the new tranny. Asking price is $3200. What yall think?

Secondly, if/when I do buy this vehicle... My dream is to make it a project... I'm not a mechanic by trade but i'm tryin to learn, I have a lotta friends with tools that'd help me! I'd LOVE to drop a 360 V8 (possibly Bouchillard Engineering?) into it, hook up a 727 tranny, get front discs... but does anyone out there have ideas for me? Advice/thoughts/warnings are MUCh appreciated!

Thanks all in advance!

Attachments

• Car1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Car2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 281
Must of put a Dart front end on it if it is a Scamp. Looks like a nice car. Think it is worth it. As far as building it goes you have all the help you need with it right here.

Doesn't look bad for the price.

Around here people are asking big prices for peice of crap, rusty, /6, 4-door cars.

That one looks decent

First time I saw it I thought it was a Dart... so did 4 of my buddies.. But the owner does say scamp sooo... I thought it'd make a good project car for myself

:hello2:Welcome:hello2: Your going to like it here8) Theirs something about the '72 Dart/Demon grill that I just can't resist=P~

First time I saw it I thought it was a Dart... so did 4 of my buddies.. But the owner does say scamp sooo... I thought it'd make a good project car for myself

A Scamp is just a Dart with a Duster front end on it. Real easy to chang it back out. Sounds like thats what this guy did.

Lookin at a '72 Scamp

Nope, it's a '71, with a '72 Dart front end on it. The rear sidemarker lights are the giveaway; the chrome-surround flush-mount units are '70-'71, and the surface-mount ones are '72-up.

I'm not a mechanic by trade but i'm tryin to learn

Get the three books described in this thread.

Advice/thoughts/warnings are MUCh appreciated!

Learn first, plan second, spend last. Otherwise it is extremely easy to spend ungodly amounts of money and wind up not achieving what you'd hoped to achieve. Beware of feature creep. See here and here.

I thought they looked like 70-71 side marker lights in the rear too. Only way to know what it is for sure is to get the VIN and punch it in to the decoder on the tool bar at the top of this page.

Thanks all! I'm definitely gonna check out those books/manuals.

I'm at college now, heading back for Christmas break soon and when I do that's when I'll hafta decide whether or not to buy this bad boy... Also I'll make sure to check the VIN no. an see what exactly it is... thanks!

from the pics and your description sounds like a pretty decent deal. I know i got into some rust trouble on the frame with my scamp that i couldn't see when i looked over it before i bought it so go over the frame very carefully and check to make sure nothing is being hidden. check the driver side A arm mount area of the frame. mine was absolutly toast there and pretty good everywhere else. Just make sure you look over it carefully but like i said looks like a good deal to me

Not to bad at all. Just look for 70-72 Dart parts. If you cant find what you need just check here. Some one will have it or know where to get it.

Probably a 71 or 72 Scamp with a Dart nose. Cant tell for sure but those rear side markers look too small for 71 so im going to say its a 72 scamp with 72 Dart nose.

Nope, it's a '71, with a '72 Dart front end on it. The rear sidemarker lights are the giveaway; the chrome-surround flush-mount units are '70-'71, and the surface-mount ones are '72-up.

Looks like a 72 rear marker not 71, if so thats not the chrome bezel its silver paint.

Yeah those 732s are really rare.

-
Back