Suggestions for leaky front and rear windows

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
hey guys,

i just went to go check for water leaks the other day on the car since my car will be sitting outside and seeing rain...got the doors adjusted good, but both my front and back windows are leaking...the car was stripped for paint, and new gaskets were used both in the front and rear, along with butyl sealer....Ive already tried resealing the back window gasket once before (this will be the third time, it leaks from the sides and at the bottom corners just by the dutchman panel seams right onto the wheeltubs) and its a first of me finding a leak at the front (coming in along the kick panels from the bottom corners)...ive read threads on here saying that you need to load on the butyl where the factory had those tabs...thing is, im not sure i know where those tabs are anymore with the gaskets in..can i still see them?

also, im not even sure if this is the fix...im going to try gobbing butyl in there again, but im starting to get worried...i really dont want to pull the windows, because im not sure what else to do...the gaskets are new, and the butyl was put on correctly (under the gasket as well where it meets the body)...any suggestions? these leaks are holding up me finishing the car and driving it since i cant put the interior in until this is solved

any help or insight is appreciated!
Thanks!
Matthew

did you put any butyl between the glass and the gasket?
if not try that, doesn't take a lot, just a small bead all the way around then put the lock strip in.

The other thing you could try is putting a bead between the side of the gasket and the metal, underneath where the reveal molding covers. Make sure you leave access for water to get into the 'drains' in the cowl panel.

drain.jpg

did you put any butyl between the glass and the gasket?
if not try that, doesn't take a lot, just a small bead all the way around then put the lock strip in.

The other thing you could try is putting a bead between the side of the gasket and the metal, underneath where the reveal molding covers. Make sure you leave access for water to get into the 'drains' in the cowl panel.

drain.jpg

yes i do have butyl in between the gasket and the glass...as far as the drain holes go, thank you for mentioning that with the picture, that helps! i had no idea of that before! also, thats what my next plan was, to ooze a bunch in between the window and gasket under where the trim would go, hopefulyl will help some

-
Back