Suggestions/input wanted....(kinda long)

-

RedlineDuster

Reaction score
I'm looking for some motivational suggestions. My work on my car has been suspended since back in May or June, due to financial issues (ex girlfriend. :cussing: ).

I'm very close to having a running car, but I have a bunch of loose ends so to speak.

Here's a little background on my project. It's a '73 Duster I have a 408 but have not assembled it yet, the prepped and machined block has been on the stand for close to two years. I didn't want to assemble it too soon and have it just sit there. all the bare metal items are coated to prevent rust.
I've got a Kesler 5 speed to put in. the only thing I need there is the flywheel and clutch.

My overall project goal is a vintage racer look a like. I say look a like because I've searched and can't find anything that says a Duster or Demon ever road raced. The car will remain streetable, but will be focused on the road course.

The problem....
Right now I have to store the car outside. I can usually work on it when ever I want in my Dad's garage, but I can't store in there.

If i do things like get the brake parts and install them they will most likely rust/corrode etc.

I coud get my tires and wheels and fit them to the car, but I don't wnat the tire to get flat spotted or for them to get hard sitting in the attic while I wait for other things to get done.

I am lucky on the interior. All I really need to do is decide on which seats and build a gauge cluster and a switch panel for things like electric fans etc and put a new carpet in.

To save you the boredom of me going on with every other aspect of the car that in this not too far from complete state I'll stop here.

My question is what part of the car would be the next best place to work on.
My immediate goal is to get the car drivable so I can move on to working out the bugs etc, then on to paint and body, finishing with the finally assembly.

Thanks Jason

RedLineDuster,
I think I would pick up a set of used skinny wheel's and tire's so, on the good day's you can roll it and keep it up off the ground ,Are you going to put frame conector's or a three point roll cage in it?
Then would start asembling the motor in a spare room or a large closet or like me I did a 318 on the back portch.A littel plastic on the wall's and floor and heat that small area. then maybe the weather will clear and worm up for you.
I like the street car Idea,have you thout about a pait sceem yet? :thumbup:
There are alot of people here that can advise you beter than me, :salute:
Main thing is to injoy your prodgect and simplafie any problem's you may run in to. :toothy7:

memike said:
RedLineDuster,
I think I would pick up a set of used skinny wheel's and tire's so, on the good day's you can roll it and keep it up off the ground ,Are you going to put frame conector's or a three point roll cage in it?

I like the street car Idea,have you thout about a pait sceem yet? :thumbup:
There are alot of people here that can advise you beter than me, :salute:
Main thing is to injoy your prodgect and simplafie any problem's you may run in to. :toothy7:

I do have subframe connectors, 2x3 rails tied into rear. I will have a 4 point Roll Bar at some point. So that's a good idea, but I think I need to have the seats first so I don't put the bar where the seats need to be.

I'm actually probably going to put on a Demon front end, but i'm not sure yet. I have all of the parts except the hood.

My plan is to use the factory style twin stripes that were used on the Demons then continue that on the deck lid. but merge the strips so there is one big one on the decklid. So as viewed from the top it will be like a big U with the conjoined arear on the decklid.

I've also thought of doing a AAR Duster or T/A Demon type of theme.

I've found a place that has a few of the factory style "ducktail" spoilers avaliable, I'm going to try to get one of those.

I'd do like suggested and do the frame, and roll bar. Keep some skinnies on it to roll it around.

What about the suspension - is that done ? if not - then do that.

After that I would get the trans and motor fitted, doesnt need to be the 408, just a plain empty block (could be a 273). This will allow you to get the clutch linkage, shifter position sorted out - not sure whats needed with the 5 spd change.

Next the interior, the brakes, and you area about done, at least with the mechanical stuff.

The suspension is done. I've toyed with the idea of getting another block, but you'd be suprised what people will ask you to pay for around here.
I think your ideas and suggestions have given me the direction I've been looking for. I think I'll work on the interior next. Really I have to do there is fab up the roll bar and make a panel where the rear seat used to be and fit my front seats.
Thanks guys

-
Back