Summit Exhaust install

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
hello all,
my Summit 2.50 Exhaust System for my 72 Duster arrived today and was wondering just how challenging is this to install?I already have the recommended Hooker Competition headers installed and I plan on just using the clamps until I can afford or find someone to make the welds.Is there alot of tweaking to make it fit?Any cutting?

I installed mine of 67 Dart GT by myself. Just leave all your clamps loose until you get everything lined up out the back. It really is a good exhaust system for the money. I got mufflers and all. After 2-3 years they still have no rust and the mandrell bends are slick.

I just installed a "heart-throb" kit on my duster I believe they are exactly the same, the drivers side went in perfectly is easier with help but i did it by myself. The passenger side required modification as the middle pipe was hitting the drive shaft. All in all i was pleased with the kit but the clamps leak but the only way I can tell is the condensation that drips at the joints during warmup. I used the summit brand headers which are basically cheap hooker-comps

I put the summit kit on my '71 Swinger & was not impressed. Not a great quality kit. Does it fit? yeah, but all the joints in it require a lot of playing around with it to get it to fit nice. Even then it's not a professional looking kit when you look underneath. Tail pipes ended up sticking out farther on 1 side than the other & needed to be trimmed. Too many slip joints & pieces too it for a real tight fit. Muffler sounded good & seem to be quality. I may be picky, but I'm a professional & like professional results.

ok,thanks everyone.
Im stuck at the pipe id now.The instructions show numbers,but the pipes dont have numbers.2 pipes that connect together to the collector ,2 are long,2 are short.I'm stuck here

ok,thanks everyone.
Im stuck at the pipe id now.The instructions show numbers,but the pipes dont have numbers.2 pipes that connect together to the collector ,2 are long,2 are short.I'm stuck here
i believe that summit sells heartthrob exhaust under their own brandname,the pics on the supliers website might help you out:)

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/8158740p.html

i work with exhaust stuff all day long but im useless at explaining how to fit stuff together that i havent ever bent up by myself or atleast had the oportunity to put my hands on.

one advice that works for me is to lay out the pipes on the floor and compare it to how the car looks and if im still unscertain a few quick measurments under the car before going for the install usualy does the trick.
best of luck on your install!

The heart-throb directions are absolutely horrible as well. Ill take some pics of mine tomorrow while i have it on the rack so you'll have something to go by.

i believe that summit sells heartthrob exhaust under their own brandname,the pics on the supliers website might help you out:)

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/8158740p.html

i work with exhaust stuff all day long but im useless at explaining how to fit stuff together that i havent ever bent up by myself or atleast had the oportunity to put my hands on.

one advice that works for me is to lay out the pipes on the floor and compare it to how the car looks and if im still unscertain a few quick measurments under the car before going for the install usualy does the trick.
best of luck on your install!
hey,those pics actually did help .:cheers: It got dark by the time I had everything lined up,but I havent clamped it down it.But OMG,the passenger side is a PAIN!:banghead:I thought I could attach the collector first and work my way back.Well,that went fine on the driver side,not so on the passenger side.I had to put together the pipes and then attach it to the header.ugh!Are they supposed to look uneven?The passenger side pipe sticks out more than the drivers side.Did this happen to anyone else?

man,
I cannot get the passenger side to fit right.I sure I got the right pipes on the correct sides.Has anyone else had trouble with the passenger side??Its hitting the drive shaft .

ok,I finally got it all together.I found I had the 3 bend middle pipe on the wrong side and it went together.My concern is how close the passenger side rear pipe is to the gas tank.It's not rubbing it,or touching it or anything though.The drivers side went on with no problem.Im going to have to remove the back seat and use bolts for the hangers instead of the screws.I may do a little more tweaking to the passenger side,but so far its ok.Later on also,I want to get welds put in them and remove the clamps.I fired it up and WOW.So much quieter than the purple hornie glasspacks I had on it.It does have a nice throaty sound,but not loud and annoying like the glasspacks were.I havent taken it for a drive yet,but I do like that it's alot quieter though.Sounds smooth.I'll try to post a video of it running.Thanks for the help.

I really like the sound of mine. I just came back from Cruisin' the coast for a week. Sounds good on interstate running 70-80 mph. Me and GF could still talk and listen to the radio, Joe

-
Back