Summit radiator SUM-380459

-

k3522

Reaction score
Will it work on my 1969 Dart originally a slant six converted to a built 360?

The description in Summit says it is overall 29 in X 18 1/2 which I think is a typo. I have sent a "ask question" to Summit to verify. I have seen it listed in a old catalog at 22 x 17 1/2 with a price of $315.

Has any one used this radiator. I need to cool things down and my 2 core stock is not enought. Even cruising it runs at 200+.

I'm sure that would cool fine. I had one of their universal 26" radiators in my duster 408 SB and I actually had to put a higher thermostat in it because it cooled so well. The universal ones are real easy to mount, and they are around $170 if memory serves me right. But you do have to have an auxillery trans cooler. Oh yeah, I ran mine with a homemade shroud. Made it from galvanized sheeting and pop-rivits.

The old catalog dimensions could have been the core size. If the radiator is a crossflow and had a 22" core width that would make both tanks 3.5" wide each for a 29" overall width. And as far as the height being 1" overall taller could be the 1/2" each support at the top and bottom of the core. I am only guessing, but it is a possible reason why the dimesions are different.

Based on e-mail corresponce with Summit I think it is too wide. i could maybe jury rig but I am not willing to do that.

I used the SUM-380460 in my 66 and the core is as wide as the opening in the core support (22"). With electric fans and a 12.5:1 360, cooling is marginal, but I need to put some more miles on the engine before I start changing things. With a milder engine I think it would work.

mounting position,,, is KEY,,,the distance from the fan to the rad,, can make all the difference in the world,,i tried a cross flow,, be cool,,they advertise 20 degrees cooler,,,well i had 20 degrees hotter,,but fan position played a part in this im sure,,so i went back to a factory rad,, with a 4 row core,,,it doesnt look as pretty,,, but the temp gauge says its koooooool
i am looking in to 2 differnt aluminum rads,, the one from mancini,,and another aluminum,, rad from a street rod company,,that is a cross between a factory look,,and a custom look,,i want the nice look and a koool temp,,

I've heard that....how far should an electric fan be from the core? I have mine right against it and it doesn't seem to cool very well. Suggestions?

electric fans,, do go right up against the core,,not all elec fans are the same,,,all have cfm ratings,,pushers pullers,,,if all you have is a elec,, you need to know the cfm rating,,,and some type of shroud would be a big help

are year ones brasss or aluminum??? im looking for a 4 row,,or a 2row with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch tubes,,aluminum not a cross flow,, butone that looks like almost factory style tanks,,,,simular to the ones mancini sells,,,i havent found one cheaper,,then mancini,,540.oo green backs,,,,ouch,,,

-
Back