Summit Shipping

-

Swinger71

Reaction score
I am looking a making an order from summit racing for headers, intake, carb, valve covers, and some other stuff.

My issues the brokerage fees that UPS charges for customs. Has anyone been able to get around paying these fees. I had heard that you can ask to self broker the shipment, to bypass the fees not sure how to do this though.

I have also found that if you ship with USPS they donot have the fees, but will they ship the larger boxes (ie. headers)

Hmmmm I've never had to pay brokerage fees on auto parts new or used or used computer equipment. I HAVE however had to pay brokerage fees on computer software (pisses me off)

Of course I havent had anything too heavy or overly large shipped over land border. for new auto parts use DHL if possible, my last shipment using them was from MOSER... very quick, tracked online and right to my door. All you have to pay for is the shipping (in advance to the supplier of the parts) and the GST+PST on delivery. USPS is pretty good for used autoparts (NOT SOFTWARE!!!!!!) Remember in Canada you are responsible for taxes on delivery.

If there is question about what may be in a parcel at the border, Canada Border Services will rip open the package to verify... good thing is they will leave you a note inside that they did and if there is any damage you can persue compensation.

DONT SHIP SOFTWARE! Grrrrrr LOL

I forgot

To efectively get around Brockerage fees, have part delivered somewhere close to the border and go get it yourself and then declare it at the border (do this or possible have it confenscated and be fined) Be sure to have a sales receipt and be prepaired for GST and PST. If it's new there might be some kind of equalization tarrif (this is only a guess but it used to be the case B4 free trade) Used auto parts should not be a problem (compete cars can be from what I have heard).

You can act as your own Broker... I'd like to find out more about this as well. I think it's more paperwork and stuff like that

well.... I hope some of that helps

I just got a used service manual today that ended up going through customs and ran me another $12 bucks, I find sometime it shows up at my door and others I have to pay to pick it up. Depends how the paperwork is filled out.
I would avoid UPS at all costs, those brokerage fees are just plain stupid, tax upon tax.
AL

You know anybody close to the border that you can ship the stuff to then go them, obviously you have to live close to the border. Otherwise you gotto pay the SOB's there cut for doing such a hard job.

Terry

I once received a UPS shipment and got a huge bill so I called the head office and since it was my first time and I did not know about those charges they omitted them, so now no more UPS.

not sure what part of canada you are from, but if you are from ontario, do a google for consolidated business international...they are a business about 5 mins from the niagara falls border...you can ship your stuff there and pick it up...just give them a call and let them know that you shipped something to their address...when you go pick it up i think its only like 5 bucks charge for them to hold the box for you but its worth it for large shipments (my cousin bought wheels for his vette this way and saved a ton of money)...something to consider

I ordered and bought a rear valance for my Charger from AMD. It cost $210. FedEx shipped it and a month later I got a custom charges bill from them for $90!!!! That's almost half of the cost of the part. FedEx can take the $90 and shove it up their....:bootysha::-D

not sure what part of canada you are from, but if you are from ontario, do a google for consolidated business international...they are a business about 5 mins from the niagara falls border...you can ship your stuff there and pick it up...just give them a call and let them know that you shipped something to their address...when you go pick it up i think its only like 5 bucks charge for them to hold the box for you but its worth it for large shipments (my cousin bought wheels for his vette this way and saved a ton of money)...something to consider
Are they on the U.S side? You would still have to pay the taxes etc if your caught at the boarder would you not?
AL

Are they on the U.S side? You would still have to pay the taxes etc if your caught at the boarder would you not?
AL

Yes "if" (remember I said if, hope there's no border guards reading this LOL) you declare it at the border you may be charged GST and for sure duty if the price you paid exceeds what you're allowed to bring back duty free.

Terry

AL

they are on the us side, yes, but for a big shipment that you would have to pay taxes and brokerage on top of that, it may be worth your while

I have gone through this a lot over the last 2 years and for the small stuff usps is the way to go no duty you just have to pick it up at the closest retail canada post outlet- UBS will charge you based on the value of the parts and for every box in the shipment I recently paid 2 x $55 fees because the shipper sent it in 2 boxes thats $110 on top of $170 US for the shipping fees for $100US worth of parts , the guy at UBS told me to send it by their "Expedited Express " service and there will be no duty charged at my end { but of course it will be in the greater cost for that service } they are not supposed to charge duty for north american made parts or antique parts which is what I have the sender write on all my incoming parts and it seems to work with the post office but not UBS - I have a friend who ships bus parcel express to the bus depot closest to the border and drives to pick it up and this works well if your close and have no border issues , Canada Customs are real lazy about collecting duty if it's not a lot of money they will often just wave you through { I brought 13 yes 13 new sony direct tv systems back from Detroit in the open bed of a pickup back when they were legal and got waved through } I even heard they were working to rule recently and would wave anything legally declared through for free as a protest the other legal option is to ship it to a customs excise broker but they charge a pretty fee sometimes as well -good luck

Just had a steering column shipped from N.Y cost $26,from N.Y across border and they just tossed it at my door step.!No knock?Nothing?Also had stuff shipped from Summit,depends on weight.It can be expensive.:read2:

Yeah I thought about getting stuff delivered to Minot and just driving down and claiming it at the boarder, but it would be a least a 5 hour trip for me and that’s just the driving.

I hate when you think you are getting a good buy but the Brokerage fees from the shipping company totally ruin it.

I was hoping someone knew how or has done the self broker thing.
Ryan

UPS and Fedex are horrible. Avoid the big carriers if you can.

If you're going to have anything shipped from the US to Canada, please get them to use USPS.

If you're in BC, you can use http://www.packageexpress.com in Sumas, WA. Depending on the size of the package, it costs $2.50 (USD) and up. At least that way you can save on brokerage.

With crossing the border, there is no broker, and you are the broker. All you really need is some kind of receipt stating what you paid for it (not including shipping), and ideally something stating whether the part is new or used. I've only been charged duty once or twice for the stuff I've brought over, and I've declared what I brought most of the time.

Good luck on having things shipped!!

-
Back