sump pump discharge question

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
did a quick thru the wall discharge for the sump pump awhile back. this year, the outlet thru the wall froze up back into the garage a couple inches. should the discharge hose have a vacuum release on it inside the garage before it goes out the wall? this would be the kind that is used under a bar or island in the kitchen where you cannot hook up to the main stack. I was going to put it in, got lazy. thinking if it was in, the water would empty the hose completely and not plug it solid when it gets cold. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

vacuum release?

i have no idea what you are asking

but there is a one way valve on the bottom of the discharge pipe so that the head doesnt drop back into the sump pit
does that tell you what you need to know?

I'm sure my description was lacking...my wife says I speak English but she doesn't understand what I'm trying to say. anyway, this is what I was trying to describe:
oh, and thanks, I do have a check valve in there

My check valve "water hammer's" when the pump shuts off
I have 2 pumps under my house, both same model pump in each pit, one is much worse than the other. Check valve on each pump

I have 2 pumps under my house, both same model pump in each pit, one is much worse than the other. Check valve on each pump
pretty easy to fix
they make "silent" check valves

i installed one in my sump pump recently, world of difference

it used to BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM each times it shut off, now i cant even hear it anymore

this is the one i used

https://www.amazon.com/Zoeller-30-0242-Quiet-Check-Length/dp/B08DG4QZ3S?tag=fabo03-20

This prevents the freezin'
1705612850884.png

A shortish vertical deadheaded pipe parallel to your discharge stack, but above the flap valve, prevents the hammerin'.
T it in close to the flap, and make it a foot or more longer.

1705613246134.png

one does that also but it's the pipes I believe knocking against the joists

-
Back