Sunroof Finish Panel Question

-

JRS

Reaction score
First post so apologies in advance if I have overlooked this information elsewhere or have posted in an incorrect location.

I am looking for information on what the ASC documents call the finish panel. When I purchased this Duster, the sunroof was non operational and the trim/finish panel that moves with the sunroof was gone. I've since gotten the sunroof moving, but am curious how to make and install the trim panel. The white panel the gentleman is touching in the photo is what I'm referring to. The other photos are from the unit I have in it's current state. It appears that there are mounting locations for door panel style clips (see photo 3) and possibly holes (photo 4) on the metal panel for installation of the finish panel but I am not sure.

If anyone has photos of the finish panel from disassembly or information on how to make a replacement it would be greatly appreciated. I've seen reproduction headliners that accommodate the sunroof but not sure these include this panel. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jimmy

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2995.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2997.jpg

It looks like you are missing the inner piece to the cassette (the part that slides).

Here is one from a B-body, note that with the inner part installed you do not see the adjuster wheels, etc.

This one had headliner material glued to the edges originally.

b-body sunroof.JPG

Thank you. This is my first time working on a sunroof so learning as I go. On the inner piece, do you know if it clips into the square knockouts at the front and then screws in at the rear? The rear holes are located between a seal and portion that is exposed so thinking a short screw might work here, but could be mistaken.

It has been a long time since I added one to a car I had & the one in the photo sold.

I do recall that it snapped in & out of place though.

What model year is your Duster?

Makes sense it would work that way for adjustment. Most of the units I’ve seen for sale don’t have the finish panel shown.

Car is a 1974. Was told by previous owner that sunroof leaked so guessing this might have lead to the panel being destroyed or sat aside somewhere. Appreciate the help.

I restored one recently, so I am familiar with the parts/operation.

The panel is only installed/supported by two aspects.

The panel is a tin piece which is painted grey like the rest, and is rectangular, with two large rectangular holes if you will. You can see it in the first pic, the holes allow you to see the outer sunroof panel beyond with the black X, which is actually contact cement with a bit of the old insulation which used to be there. You can actually see some of the old tan material, like the one in your first pic where it is being touched.

First is that it actually rides/slides in the channel on the rails mounted on either side (Left/Right) of the roof opening.
Second is that it is not like some modern sunroofs, where the finish panel can be moved up and back independent of the outer sliding sunroof section, but rather it moved up and back at the exact same time as the outer section. This occurs, because the inner finish panel is attached to the out sliding roof section by plastic pins that go through rectangular holes on both panels. Those fasteners go in the rectangular holes you see in the third pic

My forth pic show you they type of fasteners that are used. You can actually see the remnants of one in the hole second from the right.

DSCN2288.jpg

DSCN2291.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 8.33.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Many thanks. Thinking I am starting to understand how this comes together and have a few questions to clarify. On the panel with rectangular holes, this would have the plastic fasteners installed first and then covered with material, correct? Are there any connections at the rear or does the piece itself have a sort of guide like the ones at the front of the roof panel where the adjustment knobs are? Seems that adjustment could be made after installation by sliding the sunroof back a bit to pull down the filler panel at the front and slide it back for access to the knobs.

Can you clarify the area where the panel would slide in the photo below? I've put a blue and red arrow where I think you are referring to.

Assuming that chances of finding a good used or reproduction unit are slim, seems likely that this piece will need to be fabricated. When the headliner is installed does it overlap the perimeter of the sunroof a bit? Trying to gauge how close the fit needs to be so that it doesn't look bad.

Information is greatly appreciated.

InkedIMG_3001_LI.jpg

Just noticed that I was overlooking this panel in the parts catalog, seems like it is number 1 in the photo below. Parts catalog calls out 1 as Frame and that it is "serviced in panel assembly", does this mean that it came with the panel assembly (part 3696892 in this case)?

Capture.PNG

Yes, it is #1 as you noted.
I described it as,

"The panel is a tin piece which is painted grey like the rest, and is rectangular, with two large rectangular holes if you will. You can see it in the first pic, the holes allow you to see the outer sunroof panel beyond with the black X, which is actually contact cement with a bit of the old insulation which used to be there. You can actually see some of the old tan material, like the one in your first pic where it is being touched."

Note that the one in the catalog is just rectangular with one big rectangular hole in the center, but all of the ones I have seen are like the one in the first pic I posted where there is a center strip of metal, which results in my description of the piece having two holes.

The panel rides/slides into the channels (catalog item 9) on either side.

Yes it does generally slide into the area of your arrows, but it is hard to see if it is where your red or blue arrow is located.

The panels are flimsy and often missing on cars, they are not reproduced, so you would have to find someone with a used one to sale. Chances are slim becuase they would likely have a complete assembly they are selling if any.

I see it as being easy to fabricate one, they are not anything special, other than obviously getting the dimensions right. It is not a precision fit item, as long as you are within 1/8" on the width so that it does not fall out of the channels. Can be made out of a standard piece of aluminum sheet from the Lowes, requiring nothing more than a saw and drill for some holes. You would then just use 3M spray on glue and cover with material of your choice from Walmart/Fabric Store. The material plus the panel thickness need to equate to a snug but loose enough fit to slide up and back in the channel.

As far as overlap, it needs to be big enough to cover the hole in your headliner front to back, the width of it side to side will be dictated by the fact it must ride in the channel and be wide enough not to fall out.

Also, someone else here on the board could help you out by taking a few pics of their sunroof from the interior, with the sunroof partially opened, and also take a dimension for you of the distance of the interior/exterior panel edges on the front edge. Finally in absense of dimensions to work with, the back end will be dictated by the fact you have to have adequate overlap inside to cover the headliner opening, and fact is the back side has the most leeway/tolerance when it comes to size.

You ask if when the headliner is installed does it overlap the perimeter of the sunroof a bit? Yes it does, as described above. Also, there is a depression on catalog item 4 that looks to be about 1/2-1" wide, which is likely to accommodate the added thickness of the interior panel on the front side. This would provide you the extent of the front edge.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback. The photo below shows a better view of what I was trying to describe in the earlier shot with the arrows, color schemes are the same. I believe the correct area is noted with the red arrow (panel would ride on top of what I think is item 9). There was a u-channel trim piece that installed around the perimeter of the edge noted in blue. Item 4 you mention is removed in this photo. Perhaps some photos with dimensions will make their way onto the board, but can probably get close with the unit installed and headliner mocked up. A bit easier with the understanding of how it is supposed to work. All information has been very helpful, thanks again.

InkedIMG_2297_LI.jpg

It does interface with the rail you are pointing at in red.

The blue arrow is pointing at the pan edge, which is where the windlance trim piece gets mounted, it holds the cardborad headliner to the pan. The inside sliding finish panel does not actually relate to that other than coming very close to it when closed, but neither the pan perimeter opening or windlance specifically support the finish panel. The finish panel is supported by the slot in the left and right channels (catalog item 9), and its own structural rigidity. The panel does not get supported by resting on 9, but rather sliding in 9 slots. I will draw up and post a sketch to illustrate this for you.

Looking forward to seeing the sketch, appreciate your patience in explaining this.

Thanks, Jimmy

I restored one recently, so I am familiar with the parts/operation.

The panel is only installed/supported by two aspects.

The panel is a tin piece which is painted grey like the rest, and is rectangular, with two large rectangular holes if you will. You can see it in the first pic, the holes allow you to see the outer sunroof panel beyond with the black X, which is actually contact cement with a bit of the old insulation which used to be there. You can actually see some of the old tan material, like the one in your first pic where it is being touched.

First is that it actually rides/slides in the channel on the rails mounted on either side (Left/Right) of the roof opening.
Second is that it is not like some modern sunroofs, where the finish panel can be moved up and back independent of the outer sliding sunroof section, but rather it moved up and back at the exact same time as the outer section. This occurs, because the inner finish panel is attached to the out sliding roof section by plastic pins that go through rectangular holes on both panels. Those fasteners go in the rectangular holes you see in the third pic

My forth pic show you they type of fasteners that are used. You can actually see the remnants of one in the hole second from the right.

View attachment 1715203084

View attachment 1715203085

View attachment 1715203090

View attachment 1715203103

I have a non functioning sun roof in my Dart Sport. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Do they have a common issue or is it likely to be anything?

Thanks and I hope I'm not derailing the thread.

I had to find a gearbox for mine in addition to the missing panel described above. I’ve seen a few other threads here on gearboxes so perhaps this is common. First experience with one so might not be representative of all.

Old thread, but looking for help with my 73 Duster sunroof. How does one remove the inner trim panel so that it can be recovered?
I see the clip along the front edge, a d have uncapped it, but can't figure how to remove it. Do I need to remove the entire headliner first?

And pics, methods, direction would be most helpful!

No good pictures from my side, but there are some details on page 218 of the Body Service Manual for 1973 Dodge here: Service Manuals – MyMopar.

Hope this helps. I was able to get a spare sunroof with the panel in place if you need any pics of specific components.

-
Back