Super Six 2bbl carb?

-

johnnyusa

Reaction score
I'm having a tough time getting my Super Six right. I am not a mechanic so I take it to a pretty reputable shop in Minneapolis, MN.

I had the Super Six installed a few years back and the engine idle is an issue. In DRIVE and stopped, it's is rough and wants to kill. If the idle is turned up a bit, it diesels. I can't win. Non ox gas, rebuilt engine with a more agressive cam. I have put all the right upgrades in this 65 Signet convertible.

But the carb? Would anyone suggest a new carb to make this 2bbl run best? Thanks for tips.

Driver Side.JPG

How old is the carb, are you sure there's not old gas in the tank? Have you checked to make sure that the carb is tightened down all of the way? Have you done a visual inspection for vacuum leaks?

How old is the carb, are you sure there's not old gas in the tank? Have you checked to make sure that the carb is tightened down all of the way? Have you done a visual inspection for vacuum leaks?
No old gas, always fresh. Mechanic has checked for leaks and it is tight to manifold.

How old is the carb and have you also made sure that your ignition system is good?

Try running the car at 850-1000 rpms in park. Spray some 80/20 water soap solution around all sides of the intake manifold and carb base. You might have a thin crack. I usually rejet my 2 bbls for a little richer at idle and drive.

Try running the car at 850-1000 rpms in park. Spray some 80/20 water soap solution around all sides of the intake manifold and carb base. You might have a thin crack. I usually rejet my 2 bbls for a little richer at idle and drive.
I will try that, thanks.

The carb is actually the same as the 318 units.

I once had a (4-yr.old at the time) 'one-owner' low-miles '78 Dodge shorty van. It had 3spd. (floor-shift) and the Super Six. It was the first and only factory 2Bbl. six I would ever own. It ran leaner than it should have so I installed a BBD from '74 318. I noticed right away when comparing both carbs that the 318 unit had larger venturiis. So, in this case, especially with 'bigger' cam profile, the 318 carb could be the way to go, however, it would need to be 'dialed-in'.
Agree also that vacuum leak(s) could be an issue and suggest to use a vacuum gauge while doing adjustments.

That sounds good to me, a 2 bbl from a 318. I had a compression check done and passed. I believe they checked vacuum too but not sure. Not being a mechanic, I will likely explore this in the spring as it’s getting close to putting convertible asleep for winter. Thanks for that.

Make sure the unused port in the back is blocked, you probably have a high idle speed by a incorrect curb idle screw or a vac leak which is causing it to diesel, what kind of cam are you running and check vac at idle with a gauge.

check your throttle shaft for slop, this is a very common problem with the carter bbd. If it is worn very much you will suffer many drivability problems.

The carb is actually the same as the 318 units.

Wrong. At first glance there is visible differences. The venturies are smaller, and the idle mixture metering is different. I haven't checked the rods and jets for sizes. I am willing to bet they aren't as rich as the 318's.

Edit:the first thing you will see is comparing the flat part of the air horn. The super six is thicker. The PCV tube is straight on the V-8's.
I am trying to remember if the 318 carbs have holes in the butterflies.
The idle screws are probably different on the S6's. I haven't been into one in years.

Last edited:
-
Back