-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi all:

Like so many others I am still looking to track down a complete super six set up at a reasonable price. I'm looking for the entire set-up including:

Intake manifold
Exhaust manifold
Kickdown linkage
Carb
Air cleaner

Set up does not have to be plasted and painted. I've chatted with a few of the folks on here who've got set ups. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend $100+ on shipping alone. I'm in Pennsylvania so if you are remotely close to there, let me know what you've got and we'll see if we can make a deal. I would prefer to buy the whole set-up in one shot but will settle for the linkage and intake only if need be.

Thanks for looking!

You needn't pay to buy and ship an exhaust manifold. There is no difference between exhaust manifolds used with the 2bbl setup and those used with the 1bbl setup. The runners and outlet are identically sized. The differences in exhaust manifold configuration are according to production year, not carburetor setup. The '73-up exhaust manifolds will accept the factory 2bbl choke thermostat, or —*better —*get a #1232 Electric choke kit which will bolt to any-year exhaust manifold (if you're using a '70-'72 exhaust manifold, it'll have an open stove hole instead of a cast pocket; make a blockoff plate and then the electric choke will bolt atop the plate).

Carbs - a properly-built, properly-tuned 273 or 318 carb can run very well on a slant-6. The primary incompatibility is the choke lever (different for slant-6 vs. V8 ), which can be worked around without much difficulty. The later BBDs with the raised-top float bowls have a step-up rod and jet system very much like that of the AFB, and with (IIRC) rods and jets interchangeable with AFB items. But:

1. You shouldn't need to do much of any rejetting unless you are operating the car at elevation substantially different from sea level, and

2. There's a rash of new "high top" and "low top" BBDs on eBay. They are Chinese copycat/counterfeit/"reproduction" carburetors. If you put one of these on your car, please also apply a warning sign on the outside of the car so I know to keep far, far away from it on the road.

3. The early carbs run well, too.

It's all down to carb condition more than anything. Y'want a good, cheap, new, readily-tunable 2bbl carb to put on your 2-barrel conversion? Get one of these new Holley 2280s, originally built as service replacements for '74-'78 318s in trucks. The seller's dependable—I've been buying from him since well before the internet—and the carbs are nice. Holley jets are very easy to get. The carb's new, not a "remanufactured" piece of trash. The choke and throttle shafts are Teflon-coated. There's an inbuilt throttle-return spring (as required on all new cars starting in '74) for greater safety. The choke lever issue exists, but again, it's not hard to work around; whether you're using an original type 2bbl choke thermostat or the electric choke kit you can easily just bend up a new choke pushrod from brass rod stock, to meet the V8 choke lever.

The Super Six kickdown has gotten tough and expensive to find, but you don't necessarily need it. See this thread for kickdown options.

Air cleaner: if you haven't got A/C, any '66-up 2bbl small V8 air cleaner (273-318, not the ones for the bigger 2bbls on big V8s) will fit and work fine. If you have A/C, you have to have the special \6 2bbl air cleaner with the flat front to clear the compressor.

The shorter throttle cable for the 2bbl is available new as Pioneer #CA-8417 (for pre-'77 cars that have a round metal ferrule where the accelerator cable enters the firewall -- later cars with the square plastic ferrule use a different cable, also still available).

---
Wyncote, eh? That's where I was born. Here's a pic of the house my folks brought me home to...and the car they brought me home in. You can see I got an early start on slant-6 A-bodies:
1117.jpg

Dan you are a fountain of knowledge! I thank you for sharing all of your insight. I'm a novice hobbiest and a young guy so I didn't grow up tinkering with these old A bodies.

I'm glad to hear that my exhaust manifold will bolt up. I had assumed there wouldn't be clearance, but that definitely saves me some headaches. Any recommendations on the best exhaust set up for a 2 bbl? I was wondering if its worth getting Dutra's or if there is a less expensive alternative.

I dig your carb recommendation. I do have an old 2 bbl I scavanged from a 68 (or so I'm lead to believe) 318, but it needs to be rebuilt. This would save me a lot of time.

I do have a/c (its going be my daily driver so this was a MUST!) so I'll have to scrounge up the air cleaner. From what I've seen this is probably the easiest peice to find.

As for the kick down, I'm thinking the Bouchillon kit may be the best alternative.

-----

Man, that house looks like so many in my neighborhood! Glad your parents started you off on the right foot.

Thanks again for the advice!

~Bob

Dan you are a fountain of knowledge! I thank you for sharing all of your insight. I'm a novice hobbiest and a young guy so I didn't grow up tinkering with these old A bodies.

Well, welcome here!

Any recommendations on the best exhaust set up for a 2 bbl? I was wondering if its worth getting Dutra's or if there is a less expensive alternative.

Dutra Duals are fantastic, but not strictly necessary. Factory Super Six setup was 2¼" headpipe into the same muffler as used with a 318, and a 1-7/8" tailpipe. But if you need to spread out the spending, you can carry on with the stock 1bbl exhaust system without doing any damage, until you can afford to put together the exhaust system you want to wind up with.

As for the kick down, I'm thinking the Bouchillon kit may be the best alternative.

Or duplicate it with late-model parts from a Dakota in a wrecking yard.

Man, that house looks like so many in my neighborhood!

Maybe it is! 1117 Arboretum Rd. Hey, does Rizzo's Pizza still exist?

what is the diffrenance between super 225 and super six i have 68 valiant that i will be removing super 225 complete carb to panto tranny

Dan, would you believe that Rizzo's JUST closed. It's replacement is not very good.

I will probably get the dutra duals after I put on the 2 bbl... And paint the car!

what is the diffrenance between super 225 and super six i have 68 valiant that i will be removing super 225 complete carb to panto tranny

"Super 225" is nothing but an air cleaner decal applied to '63-'69 Plymouths with 225 engines. ('63-'69 Dodges got "Charger 225" air cleaner decals). It does not denote a special version of the engine, it's just an ordinary 1bbl 225.

Dan, would you believe that Rizzo's JUST closed.

Is that right? Wow. My earliest restaurant memory is how the kitchen was lower than the eating level, and when a pizza was done they'd hit a bell with it ("Bing!") so the server would know to come get it. We moved away to Denver when I had just turned four.

im not sure how far you are from nj, but i put a super six in my 74 duster. im not really happy with the slant after all and probably will be doing an engine swap. if you arent in a rush and are interested get in touch with me. i would be most interested in selling engine, trans and custom built 2.5" full exhaust with muffler and resonator. its a 74 engine with 78 super six setup. best of my knowledge it has around 70,000 miles. shoot me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back