Super Six Conversion

-

MadMaxCustoms

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 72 dart swinger special that is a slant six car. I want to bolt on a 2bbl intake and carb while I am collecting all the bits and pieces to do a V8 swap on it.

I have acquired a 2bbl intake from a FABO user (came off a 76 passenger car) and am looking for a used affordable 2bbl carb online via marketplace/CL. Before bolting these new components on, does anyone have any tips or obstacles I might come accross during this process? Will I need a different kickdown or accelerator linkage? Will I need to adjust my valves to a different spec?

Does anyone have a 2bbl carb sitting around the shop they will sell me for cheap cheap?

Thanks to all!

You will need a different kickdown linkage. Original Super Six items have grown scarce, but user "Michael" over at slantsix.org might have one for you. Otherwise see this thread for kickdown options.

You'll need a Super Six air cleaner if your car has A/C. If no A/C, you can make a V8 air cleaner work.

You'll need a shorter throttle cable; that's a Pioneer CA-8417 or ATP Y156 (same cable for V8/A-body applications)

You'll need a different choke thermostat, a № 1232 electric choke kit is the way to go.

valve adjustment is important on Slant-6 engines, but does not differ for 1bbl vs 2bbl carburetion.

It is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions.

Cheap carbs = endless headaches trying to make the car run well, so shop carefully.

If you are interested in a Carter BBD shoot me a PM and I will check my heap-o-parts. It should be considered a builder as I got it for my own Super Six but wound up going 4-bbl so I never got into it.

Thanks for the support. In your personal opinion, do you really see the difference in the upgrade in intake and 2bbl upgrade? Is it really worth doing if I planing on v8 swap later?

If you are sold on a V-8 anything you spend otherwise eventually is wasted money. However, if you decide you like the slant and want to keep it that changes things. I'm going on what I know from reading a LOT, but yes the 2-bbl upgrade is a good thing. Some of the decisions in slant-land must be figured out ahead of time. Many folks will toss it in the recycle bin and drop in a V-8. Others, such as myself, will build them to be a nicely snappy little six-banger. I like them just because. However, to really wake up a slant you will need more than just an intake and carb. @slantsixdan has several excellent threads on how to prioritize parts and pieces should you go that way.

-
Back