Super Six exhaust manifold

-

JetScreamer

Reaction score
Hello friends. I have a question for the slant six wizards. I am doing a super six swap. My question is, do you need to use the metal gasket, with the "baffle", or is it ok to use a "regular" gasket, when replacing the heat riser gasket? Does the shape of the factory gasket affect the way the heat riser valve operates? Does the "regular" gasket affect how the heat riser operates? Thanks!
20170608_162801.jpg
rfl-6008b_ml.jpg

I recall reading that you should use the metal gasket, in a long article about this swap on the SlantSix.org forum.

I would pitch both of those and get the remflex piece.

ETA: that looks like it might be the Remflex gasket. The metal one works great when all surfaces are perfect...but that is unlikely in our cars anymore. I would use the Remflex gasket, it doesn't blow out and allows for a lot variance in surfaces that other available gaskets do not.

sb

Last edited:
There is no article anywhere on slantsix.org recommending the metal gasket. The damn things don't seal unless all parts are new and perfect and your luck is extra-good. It is very much worth your while to get the good Remflex gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions.

I do have the Remflex gaskets for the assembly. I guess my question was more about the importance of the original "baffle" gasket use for the proper operation of the heat riser. I'm gathering that using the Remflex gasket, for proper sealing, is more important.

Remember when you torque the manifolds down the remflex require less torque. If i remember correctly its 5-7 foot pounds.

The damn things don't seal unless all parts are new and perfect and your luck is extra-good.

They work just fine, no luck involved. Just goop it up with some Permatex Red, mount the manifolds to the head. Let the Permatex cure, then torque to spec. Works every time.

They work just fine, no luck involved. Just goop it up with some Permatex Red, mount the manifolds to the head. Let the Permatex cure, then torque to spec. Works every time.

Definitely means the manifold to manifold sandwich. Mine was leaking bad. Remflex fixed. I always double up felpro manifold to head gaskets and use some orange permatex between them and on the manifold side. No leaks. Manifold was cracked when I got it. Not to worried about that.

Remember when you torque the manifolds down the remflex require less torque. If i remember correctly its 5-7 foot pounds.

I thought it was tighten them to crush the gasket 1/2 the width from out of the package? I could be wrong, it's been awhile. Good Luck

-
Back