Super Six Exhaust

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
I am running newly rebuilt 225 super six motor on my 71 Scamp. Currently I have an older exhaust system with 1 7/8 pipe throughout with a stock muffler. The motor s running hotter than normal and I have a new radiator , condenser, thermostat, fan shroud and seven blade fan on the car. I think it needs to breath more. Can anyone recommend and exhaust system/size pipe for a single exhaust pipe? I was thinking to go with a 2 in pipe and stock muffler. don`t want it to be too loud.

What's hotter than normal? Usually when you go supersix you get a bigger exhaust anyway to finish the mod, but mine's been running on the 1 7/8 and not heating up. Perhaps the carb is leaning out?

I have an after market Dorman exhaust manifold and am running a 180 thermostat. The temp at idle is about 200 - 205 degrees

I have an after market Dorman exhaust manifold and am running a 180 thermostat. The temp at idle is about 200 - 205 degrees

at idle, jeez. What are you using to measure temperature? Electric, mechanical? also for actual exhaust if you want to upgrade anyway, I see most people going 2 - 2 1/2". 2 1/2" with a regular muffler will still be very quiet. I run a glasspack and you still can't hear the slant. It just lets me know the engine is on. lol.

I have a slant with dual 2" pipes all the way to the back...

IIRC, the Super 6 exhaust system was 2¼" end-to-end. Classic industries has a 2¼" exhaust pipe listed. You can use a 2¼" tail pipe for the driver's side 340 set up. A 2¼" reverse flow (turbo) muffler will be quiet without too big an impact on performance.

Has the radiator cap and coolant recovery system been checked out? If not, the system could be puking coolant out and sucking air back in.

I used a 2 1/4 inch system on a super six conversion I did on a 74 Swinger. It had a dynomax super turbo hemi muffler. The car ran well with that setup.

I then upgraded to clifford split headers through a dual 2 1/4 system with an x pipe and 40 series flowmasters through 340 exhaust tips. The slant sounded pretty mean with that setup. It also ran well.

I ran 2 1/2" front to back, to a super turbo, then a glasspack next to the gas tank to quiet it down a little. I also opened up the outlet in the manifold. power was pretty decent. for a slant.

I'm running a Super SIx in a 72 Duster with a 2 1/4" system with a straight-through performance muffler. The better breathing makes it surprisingly quiet.

i just put a 2.25 pipe on a stock 225. added a thrush turbo muffler and 2.25 tail pipe. the car feels like it breaths a little better. the sounds is nice too. more resonation through the pipe. still pretty quiet though.

-
Back