super stock paint

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone with a super stock paint job? I have searched the garages and found some and also the primer grey/black front scheme. I have also found them online and of course seen the Sox and Martin barracuda and such, but wonder if the regular guy has taken the endeavor. It is daunting as you risk being a cop magnet, but man it looks cool. I'm thinking instead of orange (like "Big Orange did in the following video) going with a bronze on sides framed by white with a black top ...but basically the same motif. Its three colors which I find to be very Chrysler. The voices inside my head say to keep it simple man don't go do something that will A. be a cop magnet and B. Make it totally difficult to ever sell. I think this one will stick around and be a driver. The car is nothing super special so I don't feel like I'm ruining it. Man, paint is tough. I have posted my paint quandaries before so I apologize for boring anyone. If you have done yours up in wild paint.....please post it. Thanks. Bonus for being a FB as that's what I'm working on but all are welcome!

Thanks FABO!

1968 barracuda big orange - Bing video

Has anyone gone with a super stock paint job? I have searched the garages and found some and also the primer grey/black front scheme. I have also found them online and of course seen the Sox and Martin barracuda and such, but wonder if the regular guy has taken the endeavor. It is daunting as you risk being a cop magnet, but man it looks cool. I'm thinking instead of orange (like "Big Orange did in the following video) going with a bronze on sides framed by white with a black top ...but basically the same motif. Its three colors which I find to be very Chrysler. The voices inside my head say to keep it simple man don't go do something that will A. be a cop magnet and B. Make it totally difficult to ever sell. I think this one will stick around and be a driver. The car is nothing super special so I don't feel like I'm ruining it. Man, paint is tough. I have posted my paint quandaries before so I apologize for boring anyone. If you have done yours up in wild paint.....please post it. Thanks. Bonus for being a FB as that's what I'm working on but all are welcome!

Thanks FABO!

1968 barracuda big orange - Bing video
I had those type paint jobs on three diff cars, 67 hemi belvedere, 72 406 vega, 92 406 gmc pick up. Everybody loved them. I`m thinking of having something a little tamer done to my 68 fastback, kinda like some of the hemichallenge cars. my cars are cop magnets anyway.

You mean like this?

DSC00234.JPG

DSC00235.JPG

The body has been massaged quite a bit. The Taiwanese quarter panels and race weight glass needed a lot of TLC.

These pics are two years old. I have since hand striped the color line between the silver and blue with a bright red.

DSC00155.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

I personally like that orange, white, black...... but like you said, if you sell, not everyone's cup of tea. BUT they could repaint if they wanted. I say paint it like YOU want, drive it, enjoy it!.....

I like it too, but it's pretty clean. I think the bronze will dirty it up a bit. Maybe use an off whit as well like the Sox and Martin. Can't beat red white and blue though. Reminds me of the AMC/X paint
1968-Plymouth-Barracuda-SoxMartin-side.png

Uh....hell yes I mean like that!!!
So what's the deal? Do you paint the while thing white? Then second colors? Or paint rockers and top white generally and tape in second colors.

I use a very special mixed 2K urethane high build repair primer that is an off white color. I painted the Viper blue first sides engine compartment and trunk area, then taped those areas off and shot the Bright silver. The red and black pearl lace center strip was done last. Lastly the line between the blue and silver was hand striped.

Try a few other websites such as Class Racer - Nostalgia Super Stock section - thread "leafs, cobwebs, scallops"
I checked out that site! A lot of cool cars. I had some trouble navigating it but will play with it to try to get to the paint jobs.

Thanks!

I dig those paint jobs!

I would love to see more!

If my car ever sees paint it will be like that.

I'm thinking there are a few more paint jobs out there that haven't posted. During my strong moments I say I will attempt a super stock paint job.......It might hide some of my imperfect body work actually. Cmon! hit me with some more! I know you got one!

I'm thinking there are a few more paint jobs out there that haven't posted. During my strong moments I say I will attempt a super stock paint job.......It might hide some of my imperfect body work actually. Cmon! hit me with some more! I know you got one!

Check out You Tube. "Super Stock Hemi Shootout" There are several cars in that class that have decent paint.

Thank you! I have seen many of them on you tube! It's amazing to see A bodies running 8.40s on the motor. They really have it down. Im especially impressed with the guys who get it done with a 4 speed.

Thanks!

Jim Daniels has been 8.19 in his AA/AH Dart and holds the record at 8.22. That's not too bad for a 3400 lb car with 50 year old technology. If NHRA leaves this class alone and I'm sure they won't because they are making the other brands in SS/AA look pretty bad.

just like the eliminator modified class...or was it modified eliminator...... you know the one.....where everyone was having fun...... so they changed it....so there would be less fun......fun police per say....

Anyway, I'm thinking less flashy than super stickers but using a lot of the same "paneling" techniques.

I can find examples on the tube but if you got one......lets see It!

Thanks to all that have posted!

-
Back