Super Stocks / Pro Stocks from the 70's Finishes and suggestions

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I am taking my 1976 Dart, and building a 1970's type Super Stock clone. I have 15 x 3.5 front and 15 x 14 Cragar Super Trick wheels. I have a 383 that is going in, with a single carb tunnel ram intake. I will cut down 8.75 C body axle, and it will have very mild gears. I haven't decided on paint scheme yet. Besides the gold Moroso Valve Covers, and the huge by large Accel super coil, what other "finishes" do you remember? I am undecided on the hood scoop. Opinions on an open unit, or butterfly?

The car will be street. Goal will be something reliable that can be hopped in and driven.

Last edited:
Depending on how deep your pockets are, Bobby Yowell probably had the prettiest P/S? around. A guy called "Greg of Akron" did the paint scheme & you can find it on the Web. Lots of airbrushed murals & paint fading & such. As I recall, if you look at a lot of the cars of the day they used horizontal striping along the body lines to, I assume, accentuate the length of the cars I.E> Butch Leal, Dick Landy, S&M, Herb McCandless, etc. P/S was so popular & relatively inexpensive back then, you could find plenty of old P/S pics & simply copy a paint scheme.
As to the scoop------you can still get the traditional P/S style scoop from various places but back then a lot of the Mopar guys ran one with a "ramp' leading to the opening instead of a "snorkel" style scoop you saw on some of the mini-P/S

-
Back