Super6 conversion

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
I thought about converting my slant 6/1bbl over to a 2bbl.I have found a place that can order an adapter plate for the new carb.It looks like the linkage will have to be changed or modified.I am running a stock 904 trans so i am not real sure what path to take,not real sure if this conversion will help.Has anyone done this and if so was it worth the time and trouble?

I cant vouch for an adapter plate.
However a 1 to 2 bbl change is a good one on most slants. Ma Mopar made a supersix set up that use a 2 bbl manifold, BBD or Holley 2280 carb and cable type throttle linkage. If auto equipped then a special kickdown rod to the transmission was also used. 2 1/4 exhaust was also used.
There are also aftermarket 2 bbl manifolds ( Aussie Speed Hurricane is one) and Lokar makes throttle cables and hookup including the auto transmission kickdown.
The 2bbl upgrade is a good one with increased MPG and LOTS more power.
Frank

Trouble with the adapters is they're quite a bottleneck - they create quite a restriction going from two barrels to one, particularly since there's not much height to them to make a smooth transition. It's worth the time to hunt down the right manifold.

Trouble with the adapters is they're quite a bottleneck - they create quite a restriction going from two barrels to one, particularly since there's not much height to them to make a smooth transition. It's worth the time to hunt down the right manifold.

Agreed. If you're going to do it, do it right. My Super Six conversion was well worth all of the effort.

I thought about converting my slant 6/1bbl over to a 2bbl.I have found a place that can order an adapter plate for the new carb.It looks like the linkage will have to be changed or modified.I am running a stock 904 trans so i am not real sure what path to take,not real sure if this conversion will help.Has anyone done this and if so was it worth the time and trouble?

You'll most likely need at least $400 to spend on the project unless you can find an entire super six setup for dirt cheap at a junk yard. You need a 2bbl carb, 2bbl manifold, choke pulloff, kickdown linkage, brackets and a new air cleaner. You'll also need to aussie or remflex manifold gaskets for a tight seal. I would advise against the adapter. It partly defeats the purpose of going from a 1 to a 2bbl.

Thanks to all for the advise and input.My scamp(which use to be my mothers) is a tough car to work on.I am trying to keep it the way it was when she had it,while trying to improve on some areas that i would like as well as helping the performance of the car.I think i will take my time to hunt down the correct parts and keep everything as close to factory as possible.Right now the car is running good with the 1bbl,so i cant complain too much.Thank you all very much.

I had the super six intake 2bbl manifold. I wouldnt run the adapter plate. As stated above, its a bottle neck. The 2bbl manifold can be found on early 80 dodge vans as well. Worked great.

-
Back