Supercharged Slant Six

-

65 Cuda 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine for over 30 years despite our now living several hundred miles apart, recently put a Torque Storm supercharger on the slant six in his 63 4-speed Valiant. After playing around with a couple of different carburetors, he decided to go fuel injection. Holley Sniper. Here's a couple of pix of his motor.

James' slant six driver's side.jpg

james' slant six passenger side.jpg

That's a nice clean install. What is the performance info on the before/after?

That's a pretty clean install.

Yeah, he's a professional motorcycle mechanic, with his own shop. He's told me it's a heckuva lot faster with the supercharger, but I don't know the details. He asked me to post the photos, so maybe he will chime in.

Yeah, he's a professional motorcycle mechanic, with his own shop. He's told me it's a heckuva lot faster with the supercharger, but I don't know the details. He asked me to post the photos, so maybe he will chime in.
It dang sure better be! lol

It runs really well, does not over heat. Runs like a N/A engine until you give it over half throttle. Can't say enough good things about Holley Tech Support. Really fun to drive. Hope to have a video soon with one of my younger friends filming in the back seat while driving. I have built this engine with lots of planning from the ground up around the super charger. James

Let's see it a video of it go like MadMaxx lol. Sounds awesome

:steering:

Way cool! I've been contemplating doing the same maybe this winter. Out of curiosity, what made you decide on the 4 barrel sniper instead of the 2 barrel 2300 Sniper? From horsepower capabilities it kinda looked like the 2300 would be the right one to use and I put it on my budget list, but curious what swayed you to yours...

Way cool! I've been contemplating doing the same maybe this winter. Out of curiosity, what made you decide on the 4 barrel sniper instead of the 2 barrel 2300 Sniper? From horsepower capabilities it kinda looked like the 2300 would be the right one to use and I put it on my budget list, but curious what swayed you to yours...
The Holley Tech guys said the 4150 kit was the way to go. The EFI takes full throttle from idle up.

No bog anywhere.

I had a 500cfm carter in the beginning, had drivability issues, then shelled out $1300 for a C&S 550 aerosol blow through carb. I did not want to go to headers, so I had vapor lock and hot soak unless it was cool weather. I got to where I hated to drive it, so I did not drive it much for a couple of years. So I decided to roll the dice and go with the holley efi.
Engine has comp cam .430 lift, Fel-pro .040" head gsk. 8.2 compression. ARP main and head studs ARP rod bolts. Offy 4bbl. intake. This is important; Total mechanical advance is set at 24 degrees, 0 at idle. Boost builds to 10-12lbs. Starts to build low boost at about 1800rpm and builds slowly in higher gears, but if you downshift from say 4th to 3rd at 60mph, whoo hoo! boost builds are instant. Unlike turbo slant six turbos I have built in the past that have some spool up time.

I had a 500cfm carter in the beginning, had drivability issues, then shelled out $1300 for a C&S 550 aerosol blow through carb. I did not want to go to headers, so I had vapor lock and hot soak unless it was cool weather. I got to where I hated to drive it, so I did not drive it much for a couple of years. So I decided to roll the dice and go with the holley efi.
Engine has comp cam .430 lift, Fel-pro .040" head gsk. 8.2 compression. ARP main and head studs ARP rod bolts. Offy 4bbl. intake. This is important; Total mechanical advance is set at 24 degrees, 0 at idle. Boost builds to 10-12lbs. Starts to build low boost at about 1800rpm and builds slowly in higher gears, but if you downshift from say 4th to 3rd at 60mph, whoo hoo! boost builds are instant. Unlike turbo slant six turbos I have built in the past that have some spool up time.
Did you keep it at a low lift for a reason on your cam? 430 compared to let’s say 520 lift

Last edited:
Very cool. Couple questions. What fuel? Are you using the Holley to control timing? (You could probably idle much cleaner with more initial and still limit total timing). And do you have any plans on dynoing it or making a pass at a drag strip?

Did you keep it at a low lift for a reason on your cam? 430 compared to let’s say 520 lift
I wanted to limit the rpms to 5000. I may go with the comp cam 440lift 264 duration that I have in the future. The 430lift cam peaks at 4500 and hangs around til 5000. I am sure if you went with a hotter cam the boost will rise accordingly. It pulls strong to 5k and I am satisfied with that amount.

Very cool. Couple questions. What fuel? Are you using the Holley to control timing? (You could probably idle much cleaner with more initial and still limit total timing). And do you have any plans on dynoing it or making a pass at a drag strip?
Running premium fuel, 93 octane. Sometimes i run up to 10 degrees at idle. Running a Petronix in the stock distributor with lighter springs, and a Accel super coil with Taylor wires. I was concerned about the spark breaking down under boost and have to go with an MSD, but so far it does not miss a beat. I do not have a timing control.

Maybe this fall, I might ride it up to Rock Hill, they have a dyno in a Mustang Performance shop up there. Also strangely one thing I noticed is when I have the 2.94 gear in the rear it pulls harder than the 3.23 gears. It likes to have something to push against.

-
Back