Sure Grip Help

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I have 2 sure grip units, that Im trying to figure out. 1 has a number of C 30847 cast into it then stamped into it in a different location this number 22685X 2 22 65c. The other is identical except the last digits are 1 16 63a.

I was told they were for a 741 case and I was hoping you sure grip gurus would have a better idea and confirm it for me. Thanks

View attachment IMG_20140818_195825_763.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140818_195945_573.jpg

Don't quote me on this, lol, but I believe they can be used in any case.

There is however a difference in the bearing. I believe the outer race is the same diameter throughout.

I was wondering about that as well. I thought they interchanged between cases and I just want to make sure. Also these are the clutch style correct?

Diff bearings are specific to the SG. The bearing races are the same dimensions as far as fitting in the carriers, 741,489,742.
Those bearing race numbers should be 25590/25520.

The carriers can be used in any case as long as the right bearings are used. The 741 case always came with the cone type sure grip from the factory if it was a sure grip. But it does not matter. You can swap in the better clutch unit in a 741 case because they will all interchange.

Diff bearings are specific to the SG. The bearing races are the same dimensions as far as fitting in the carriers, 741,489,742.
Those bearing race numbers should be 25590/25520.

Thank you for that info I will look to see. Good to know they interchange between carriers.

Yes those are the clutch type. If you sell one of them i would be interested?

I was thinking of holding onto one, Im running a cone style currently. Ive always wanted a second setup with a different gear ratio. I may part with the other.

The carriers can be used in any case as long as the right bearings are used. The 741 case always came with the cone type sure grip from the factory if it was a sure grip. But it does not matter. You can swap in the better clutch unit in a 741 case because they will all interchange.

Rob, I know you rebuild the cone style, and Im sure these also. I have no idea how long these have been sitting and was wondering if I should open them up check them over or just some things I should look for to give them a once over?

Pre '69 741 castings originally came with clutch sure-grips.

Post '68 741 castings originally came with cone sure-grips.

742 castings originally came with clutch sure-grips.

489 castings originally came with cone sure-grips.

Both types of sure-grips fit any center casting if you use the appropriate carrier bearings.

Thank you for that info I will look to see. Good to know they interchange between carriers.

I was thinking of holding onto one, Im running a cone style currently. Ive always wanted a second setup with a different gear ratio. I may part with the other.

Rob, I know you rebuild the cone style, and Im sure these also. I have no idea how long these have been sitting and was wondering if I should open them up check them over or just some things I should look for to give them a once over?

I think I would give them a look, as easy as they are to work on.

I was incorrect about the 741 only coming with the cone type too. But regardless, all the carriers will interchange into all the different cases.

I have no idea how long these have been sitting and was wondering if I should open them up check them over or just some things I should look for to give them a once over?

If you do, mark the case halfs so you can line it up properly when you put it back together. Also pay close attention to the clutch disk orientation, they need to go in a certain way as well.

PS: If it were me, I would throw in a new set of clutches while it's apart. I soaked mine in friction modifier before install.

Take them apart and inspect the old clutches, most of the time I find them in good shape. When you bolt the halves back together, use your axles in the carrier before you tighten the bolts. This way your splines will be lined up and installing the axles after the third member is in will be a Whoooooole lot easier.

-
Back