Sure Grip (hopefully) question

-

rgp266

Reaction score
I have what is supposed to be a early, small (741 case) pinion, sure grip under my 65 Valiant. A couple of days ago while out for a cruise I stood on it off the line and that is when it got all strange. Only the left rear broke loose. Down the road a bit I tried it again with the same result. The road was not crowned real high. Never ran in to this before. Is this a clutch style sure grip that needs a rebuild? I would doubt it is a broken axle but won't rule it out. Thoughts?

Bob

That should be a re-buildable clutch type sure grip.

have you verified that it is a sure grip? with only 1 tire leaving tracks I would doubt your rear is the sg style. at this point I believe the only way to tell is drop out the 3rd member & visually check the carrier for a sg unit

a 741 pumpkin could have anything at this point in history. if you are only spinning one tire then I think you have a common single spinner rear.

Lawrence

jACK IT UP. PUT IT IT GEAR. SPIN ONE WHEEL IF THE OUTHER WHEEL TURNS THE OUTHER WAY ITS NOT A SHURE GRIP.EVEN IF ITS A WEEK SHURE GRIP IT WILL TURN THE SAME WAY.

What is throwing me is the left wheel spinning thing. If it is a Peg Leg then every one of those I have ever owned would only spin the right rear regardless of who (Ford-GM-Chrysler even Studebaker) built the car.
Bob

Possibly have fried it. Did it spin both tires before? I would pull it out and see what you have. If you have the clutch pack or power lock sure grip (used 1959-1968 ) than it can easily be rebuilt. Keep in mind that it might be a good idea to replace the bearings and seals too that way it's all fresh again. If this is what you have and try to take the sure grip unit apart, I think the bolts holding it together have left handed threads.....maybe somebody else can verify this.

If you have a cone style sure grip (used in 1969-late 70's) then it is not as easily to rebuild. However, the cone can be turned on a lathe, trying to find somebody to do that or knows how to could be a challenge. I think FABO member Rustyratrod (Rob) knows how to do this so maybe send him a PM if you need help or info in this area.

Keep in mind that these parts are all interchangeable and swapped around so don't count on yours being the same year as your car, good luck :glasses7:

Yes the clutch type is held together with left hand thread bolts. If you have the cone type, I can cut those down for you. ,

-
Back