Sure grip pinion seal

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
The pinion seal on my 67 barracuda fastback is in need of changing. My rear end is a sure grip and still has the aluminum “use sure grip lube oil only” tag on the cover bolt.
I’ve done lots of pinion seals on other cars and understand the whole marking the nut/yoke/pinion and counting exposed threads as to put everything back together as it was before disassembly.
My question is, is there anything special or different a guy needs to know about changing the pinion seal on a sure grip vs a regular diff?

I use red line 75/90 as it already has the friction modifier in it.

Others use 90w with ford friction modifier.

I'll assume you're talking about an 8.75 rear and not a 7.25, since both were available with sure grip.
On the 8.75, it depends on whether you have a small pinion or large pinion carrier.
If it's a small pinion (casting #489 on the nose of the carrier) you will need a new crush sleeve in order to set proper preload. Follow the procedure in the FSM (you DO have one, right?). There is a crush sleeve eliminator available, but using that may require you to disassemble the carrier to install shims to achieve proper preload.
If it's a large pinion (casting #741, 742) just reassemble and tighten according to the FSM.
Use SAE 90W gear lubricant with a bottle of friction modifier for limited slip rear ends.

post a picture of the cover on the back of the diff to confirm...

I don't put the pinion nut "back where it was". I mark it and the end of the pinion shaft and go "a little farther" when I tighten it back down. This gives the tapered roller bearings back the small amount of preload they should have.

-
Back