Sure grip questions

-

OleNatesOlds

Reaction score
I have found what appears to be a sure grip 8.25 diff in a '77 Magnum XE in pretty good shape at the local junkyard here. It uses coil springs instead of z springs for clutch pack pre-load it appears. I suppose it's the Dana-sourced Trac Lok? I'd like to swap it out for my open diff 8.25 that I was about to put in my '69 Dart. They are both 2.45:1 ratios, so that's good for me now as I'd love the mileage with my 1-bbl /6 and A904 currently. However, in the more distant future I plan to put in a A833OD with 3.55's out back because ultimately I want to grab gears.

First, is this likely a Trac Lok and is this OE LSD rebuildable?

Second, is the carrier split for Chry. 8.25" (2.45/2.56) applicable to open AND LS diffs.

I ask these because currently Dana sells new pre-'97 27-spline Trac Loks that are rebuildable and use ALL ratios, mentioning nothing about the carrier split I have heard about. Or are these only features of modern Trak Loks? Thanks

I think I've answered most of these questions after more research. Looking at pics, the posi in the Magnum actually seems to be an Auburn-style lsd. Idk if that's OEM or not. And from what else I've read, those are the cone/clutch mechanisms which are NOT rebuildable. Also, there is a carrier split at 2.56+ for the trac lok (and Auburn) according to most vendor sites. I guess the one I visited was misinformed... maybe?

Ok new question: What does a carrier split actually mean? What dimension changes at that ratio? The differential case? The ring gear? The actual center housing? Or...?

This means that the 2.45 gears take a specific housing and carrier. You can't really swap another set of gears into it. You would need a 2.71 housing and carrier to swap the gears out later. The 2.71 housing and carrier will accept numerically higher gear sets.

Seriously? That makes no sense for Chrysler to have to cast two different housings for what purpose? A small housing that accepts one, maybe two, gear ratios and then you need a bigger one for the others? If that's true I wish the guy that sold me this rear would have spoken up. I was talking all about my plans to him several times before I got it from him. I also found a 3.21 sure-grip in a van right next to the Magnum that felt tighter I had actually decided on instead so as to do only one gear swap for a kind of happy medium between 2.45 and 3.55. My OD swap is pointless now unless I put @#$%ing go kart tires on the rear! :mumum: That really pisses me off now...

-
Back