Sure grip thrust button (spacer) question

-

dgibby

Reaction score
I have a 8.75 741 open and 741 clutch center section and a 489 cone style center. they all appear to have thrust spacers in them except the 741 clutch ones are much smaller in diameter than the other two. The small ones are about the size of a dime and the bigger ones are the same diameter of the axle shaft. Is this correct? And if so, can it be run or do they or the axles need to be changed? Thanks.

Sounds correct. The axles from one to the other will work, provided you're using stock style tapered bearings. The clutch style uses two buttons on a thru pin, the cone and open have a " block" between that floats with axle adjustment.

you need to be aware of the small ones when changing centers...they will sometimes come out,even when you just pull an axle.
it could just be me tho,i'm ruff on all my cars!

mike bee

you need to be aware of the small ones when changing centers...they will sometimes come out,even when you just pull an axle.
it could just be me tho,i'm ruff on all my cars!

mike bee

That's what I was afraid of. Wasn't sure if the spacer was missing or if the little one was the spacer. I put a magnet on it and it's not coming out.

If you don't have the old style adjustable tapered wheel bearings, it is my somewhat educated opinion that those thrust spacers/buttons need to come out. As mentioned before they can fall out and cause major problems. And believe it or not they can also cause non-adjustable wheel bearings to not "seat" fully in the axle housing, normally on the side that was last assembled. That can cause the bearing retainer to get bent and also leak oil.

That's what I was afraid of. Wasn't sure if the spacer was missing or if the little one was the spacer. I put a magnet on it and it's not coming out.

if they're in there good and you have the factory tapered bearings you should be fine.if you you use the sealed bearings the spacers do need to be removed.

mike bee

If you don't have the old style adjustable tapered wheel bearings, it is my somewhat educated opinion that those thrust spacers/buttons need to come out. As mentioned before they can fall out and cause major problems. And believe it or not they can also cause non-adjustable wheel bearings to not "seat" fully in the axle housing, normally on the side that was last assembled. That can cause the bearing retainer to get bent and also leak oil.

I have a 489 case with auburn suregrip. To run my moser axles with green bearings the thrust spacer had to come out.

Tapered bearings. Left the spacers in. Pulled the peg leg 3.23 and went with the clutch style with 3.91's.
Two black marks are funner than one and the 3.91's add some fun too. Thanks for all the imput.

-
Back