suregrip interchange q's

-

Patrick

Reaction score
Have a 741 case with open gears and i'm picking up a Power-Lok suregrip unit from a friend. We're going to install the unit in my case this weekend. What i'm confused about is what i need to do with regards to the bearings on the diff. Can i reuse the ones from my open case or do i need to get the ones as stated below (25590 and 25520)?

Here's the 8 3/4 reference page I found that talks about this:

1958-1969 used the Dana Power-Lok (# 2881487). This unit utilized clutches for the differential locking action. The Power-Lok can be rebuilt using kit # 2070845 ( Mopar Performance [MP] # P4529484 ). In this assembly, axle driveshaft end thrust is taken by the thrust block assembly (replacement # 2881313). This Sure Grip appeared in the '741' and '742' assemblies. The axle bearings are: 25590 (Timken cone), and 25520 (Timken cup), (Chrysler numbers 1790523 and 696403). The Dana Power-Lok can be recognized by its bolt-together assembly, bolts around the side opposite the ring gear, and multiple openings exposing the cross shafts.

Interchange Notes:
The two Sure Grip types can be interchanged between the carriers if the matching differential axle bearings are retained. The outside diameter of the cups are the same between the '741'/'742' and the '489'; the inner cone differs. The Sure Grip differential can be used as a direct replacement for the non-Sure Grip within the carrier/bearing limits previously noted.

thanks for the clarification!

Don't pull bearings off your open case and install them on the new case. That's asking for trouble. If there are already bearings on the dana power lock and it came from a 741/742 case originally (chances are it did), then you should be able to use those bearings without changing them.

The bearings are specific to the carriers, not the cases. All the cases have the same ID for the carrier bearing races. The bearing/race for a powerlock should be 25590/25520

If the bearings are good on the powerlock, keep the races/bearings together and put it in the new case.

Easy swap.

Put the cleaned up ring gear in an oven at 200# for about 10 minutes. Makes it easier to install on the carrier. Don't tell the wife/GF, they don't like it much! DAMHIK!

-
Back