Surface rust on ceramic header flanges..

-

Reaction score
Pulled the cover back on the Dart yesterday and noticed the cermaic headers have slight surface rust on flange machined lip and between some of the tubes on passenger side. What is the best way to remove this w/o removing and recoating headers? 0000 steel wool? also has anyone ever touched up cermaic headers with header paint? If so what type and color was used?

Thanks Mike

I would use Mothers or another good brand. I have used Mothers with good results.

x 2 on the mothers...The place that coated mine said to use mothers or another quality metal polish to clean them. I imagine that would work. I've removed slight surface rust with mothers before on other things.

Since I got my TTI's 5 years ago, I've lay'd several layers of plastic on the garage floor during the winter. TTI recommends doin that for their ceramic coated headers. Eliminates the moisture from the concrete floor. No rust on mine.

They are flowtech headers. I will try the mothers this weekend. Its not bad I just do not want it to get worse.

pntastar69 the car is stored in my enclosed trailor so do direct contact to ground. I actually thought that would be better but I guess not.

I will post before and after pics this weekend...

Thanks for the help guys,
Mike

Just an FYI: When I still did high temp ceramic coatings, part of Performance Coatings' warranty was insisting the customer use stainless steel hardware not only on the headers/manifolds, but on the valve covers above them.

-
Back