Surface rust on gears

-

Robb

Reaction score
I just bought a center section for my 8 ¾ build. It has a clutch sure grip, and it was rebuilt a while ago, but it has been sitting around uninstalled. As a result, it has developed a small/light amount of surface rust. It’s not much, and most is limited to the spline holes, the adjuster wheels/nuts, and some of the hardware, but that’s only what I can see…

Probably a dumb question but, what can I do to remove this safely? Do I have to take it all apart, or is there a more efficient method? Like can I just dip the whole thing in a bucket of evapo-rust, and then just lube it real well?

Can you post a pic? From your description it don't sound like much. If it's not crusty/chunky rust I'd be tempted to just clean what I could with a scotchbrite pad and run it.

Install it and run hell out of it. The rust will come right off. What do you think happens when a car sits up a long time?

Good point on it sitting, but wouldn't the lube in the gear case keep it from rusting over? Would I need to change the lube any sooner?

Good point on it sitting, but wouldn't the lube in the gear case keep it from rusting over? Would I need to change the lube any sooner?

Nope. It will drain completely off after some time and condensation will cause surface rust on anything exposed.

Nope. It will drain completely off after some time and condensation will cause surface rust on anything exposed.

Absolutly correct!!!! I have seen oil pans rust from the inside out ( typically on Fords ) on all brands. OIL does not prevent rust unless it is in direct contact... condensation has caused cylinder walls to rust albeit mildy for the first 30 years it does happen. Exposed steel with rust, it is in it's nature...... however if you are talking about a film of rust that can be removed with a scotch pad VS a Crust of rust resembling the crust on the top of a pie all flaky and separated.... you dont even need to scotch pad it ...just put it back in and drive it...if is is like the pie crust then you would be well served to disassemble it and clean the parts assess the damage and either restore or replace them.

-
Back