surging problem

-

dartman1965

Reaction score
I have a problem with my car surging on just a cruze.Its a 318 .040 over,performer int,625 carter,268/272 purple cam.I thought it was lean so I fattened it way up but dident help.If I disconect the vac advance,it goes away but off the line performance suffers.Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like you just need to dial in the timing a bit. I would get a spring kit and do some test and tune. disconnect the vacuum adv. and set the timing so you get about 36 degrees total advance in between about 2,500 to 3,000 rpm's. probably going to be about 14 BTDC or so at idle depending on how much mechanical advance the dist. has. if the timing comes all in too late put on a weaker spring, too soon a stiffer spring. if you want to run a vacuum adv. hook it back up and test drive it, if its adjustable you can back the amount of advance off and try it then. if your not worried about every mpg I would disconnect the vacuum and run it to the specs above. in that range is what most mild built small blocks seem to like.

When I richened it,I changed the mettering rods and then jets ,It dident make much difference co I went back to where I starrtedand it ran good.I t just had the surging issue and felt lean.

The reason why it didn't make a difference, is because you weren't changing the right part!

At cruise, you are relying on the springs/rods.

Try going 2 sizes stiffer on the metering rod spring.

Being that you disconnected your vacuum advance and it went away, I'm lead to believe its a timing or possibly a distributor issue. Hell, maybe you even had a vacuum leak , like a cracked hose? Just a thought.

Don't ask my why but I can't run the vacuum advance... my engine will do the exact same thing. I have plugged it off and have ran it for years without it. My timing is set at 34* total at 3000 RPM. I didn't have a dial in type timing light so I installed timing tape on the balancer.

10.7 comp
.474/.474 purple cam

Sounds like the vac advance is advancing like crazy then.

I should have mentioned that I had a Eddy carb on the engine and it would surge at cruise.... plugged off the advance. Then later on I switched to a brand new Holley and tried to run the advance ... same thing. So I knew then it wasn't the carb causing it.

-
Back