Suspension and Brake swap?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
As of yesterday afternoon I am now a happy 64 Valiant owner. It is a /6 3-on the tree car. Real basic and spartan...just the way I like it.

I have been doing some reading, and I have a fairly simple question or two.

I have a BBP 73 Dart that I have removed the mechanicals out of.
I have all of the upper and lower control arms, and the complete rear axle and springs.

I have three questions for now:

1. I can directly bolt the front disks onto my car, correct, with the all of the 73 parts? I will use my upper and lower control arms off of the 73.

2. Like wise with the rear? Springs and all?

3. I can use an Energy Suspension bushing kit through Summit, and it will all work for the bushings, correct?

I will have more questions, I am a shop teacher and we are looking at this as a learning tool for all..

Thank you, ROB

You really don't need the lower control arms to make it work. I didn't on my 64 Valiant. The rear end and springs will bolt in with no problem, done that also. On question three, don't know sorry.

Lee

Strut rod bushings were different from 64 to 73, pitman and idler arms are WAY different, tie rod ends are similar and control arm bushings should be the same. Try ESPO, Just Suspension or Firm Feel. These places are familiar with that common swap and can hook you up with a kit. Not knocking Summit, but companies like ESPO go the extra mile for hobbyists like us and we need to use that resource to keep it alive.

agreed and moparlee is correct, im running what your holding! 73 duster disks an 8.25

OK. I have read through most of the swap here and in other places. I really did not want to get in a spot where we had to get one special part and not have it.

I want to keep the manual steering that is on the car. I have the entire upper and lower C.A.'s and the dropped center link etc out of the 73.

I don't mind leaving some of the 64 stuff there if it works good.

The car is taking a budget street / strip approach for round one. Kids are into it. We are likely to do some fabricating of a new flat trunk etc. to make it work better and keep things real simple. I like simple.........

Thanks for the guidance I will be back. I was out admiring the old car for about a half hour here a bit ago.

ROB

I think you are going to need a V-8 center link from a 63-66 A-body car. They may be shorter than the later years. I am doing the same swap in my 66 Valiant with disc brakes from a 73 Duster. Make sure to use the lower ball joints from the newer set-up. The other stuff will work from your Valiant (pitman, idler, etc) Your Valiant lower control arms will also work with this swap. I have also heard you should use STOCK rubber bushings for lower control arm bushings and the strut rod bushings! Poly ones squeak real bad! The rest are great to use. :thumbup:

66340SEDAN said:
I think you are going to need a V-8 center link from a 63-66 A-body car. They may be shorter than the later years. I am doing the same swap in my 66 Valiant with disc brakes from a 73 Duster. Make sure to use the lower ball joints from the newer set-up. The other stuff will work from your Valiant (pitman, idler, etc) Your Valiant lower control arms will also work with this swap. I have also heard you should use STOCK rubber bushings for lower control arm bushings and the strut rod bushings! Poly ones squeak real bad! The rest are great to use. :thumbup:

he and you can both use whatever center link you currently have in place, it makes no difference.

im running 73 duster rotors in mine. all i changed was the UCA
put in new U B J and L B J spindles and new rotors and new calipers and a fresh set of pads.. stops like a hot damn.

Don't I need my 73 Center link since it is V8? I am likely making my own mounts so I can manipulate things around to make them work if needed.

I thought V8's required a dropped center link?

jeeper said:
Don't I need my 73 Center link since it is V8? I am likely making my own mounts so I can manipulate things around to make them work if needed.

oh they do i miss understood amd missed when you stated that i guess, for the brake swap you dont need a centerlink change.. but if your going V8 then ya you will.. sorry man

The 63-66 centerlinks were narrower. The later style wont fit, plain and simple. The rest of the steering linkage must remain stock for the 64. All manual gearboxes were basically the same, so retaining the manual setup should be no problem. In fact, besides the gearbox the ONLY parts that are the same are the lower control arms, so you can re-use your old ones no problem. The only 73 parts you will need to use are the spindles, lower pall joints, upper ball joints and upper control arms. You will also need the 73 master cylinder and associated plumbing. If you 73 rear end is a 7 1/4 you can just swap the axle shafts and brakes, saving the hassle of loosening a couple dozen rusty bolts.

Making your own motor mounts? To each their own, but why reinvent the wheel? These are factory parts, and not particularly rare. Get them off the same parts car you score the oddball 64-66 exhaust manifolds, throttle linkage, radiator, center link, and 90 degree oil filter off of. Or Schumacher makes new ones.

There is a local guy, I don't remember his name, that collects the early a bodies. He lives outside of Medford Oregon and has alot of them. I may give him a call if I can find his name. He is likely a member here.

Anyways, I am so used to Jeeps and putting everything under the sun under the hood that I wasn't real concerned with the rest of it. I would not want to make things too simple! Factory parts, bolt together.........what's that.

Seriously though, I will look around and see what I can find for V8 early stuff.

The only thing that I see that looks like it could be hard to find is the center link. I think the rest I can deal with.

Are those around much?

Thanks, ROB

Jeeper, I would start a post in the wanted section for a 63-66 V-8 center link, someone should have one. You can also try ebay, i have seen them on there before! :thumbup:

jeeper said:

Just as a side point, you better check out the throttle linkage.../6 uses a bizarre mechanical linkage. v8s had a cable. I am looking for a cable setup too...

-
Back