Suspension set up.

-

Dorian

dorian
Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda Coupe with a mild 383 and 4 speed. It has a Hayes flywheel and Centerforce Dual Friction clutch setup.
Here is a list of my upgrades to the car.

-SS Springs mounted on 3/4 inch offset perches.
-2x3 welded frame connectors.
-Dana 60, Strange 35 spline axles and spool. 4.56 pro gears.
-M/T ET street slicks 26 x 10.5 x 15.
-Just suspension poly front end rebuild kit, with upgraded disc brakes all around.
-Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks on all 4 corners.

The car weighs 3140 with me in it and I launch at 6000 rpm and shift at 5800.

The problem is that when I launch my tires tear up a patch of the rubber on the starting line. The front end raises up on launch as well as the back end after that. It launches hard and straight, but I am getting flack from the prep guys at the track, they say that I am the only one tearing up the starting line, and have requested that I try to remedy the situation for next year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dorian

Any track should be able to hold up to any 383 launching at any RPM. The problem is not with you it is with the track.

Other than that try a different brand of tire.

It is not the track! We have the best traction in Div 6. A friend of mine went 5.44 at 230 on our track. We have racers from all over comment on how great our traction is, so I know it is not the track.
I am the only car that tears up the starting line when I launch, I was wondering if it was a set up issue.

Maybe your tires are old,as in sat on the shelf a while before you got them,or you need a different brand.Actually,id tell them to do their job and quit whining.Sounds like the combo is working perfectly together.

"I am the only car that tears up the starting line when I launch."

And thats a bad thing ?

Tell them to get a job ! lol

It is not the track! We have the best traction in Div 6. A friend of mine went 5.44 at 230 on our track. We have racers from all over comment on how great our traction is, so I know it is not the track.
I am the only car that tears up the starting line when I launch, I was wondering if it was a set up issue.

Like I said above… Try some other tires.

My point was that your track should be able to hold up to anything you throw at it, being that other cars are launching much harder and doing no damage. No reason to change any of your set up.

Hell…. I would launch at 8,000 rpm, wheels up and the only problems I had was that my glove box door would flap open and my ashtray would fly out.

I have a 68 Barracuda Coupe with a mild 383 and 4 speed. It has a Hayes flywheel and Centerforce Dual Friction clutch setup.
Here is a list of my upgrades to the car.

-SS Springs mounted on 3/4 inch offset perches.
-2x3 welded frame connectors.
-Dana 60, Strange 35 spline axles and spool. 4.56 pro gears.
-M/T ET street slicks 26 x 10.5 x 15.
-Just suspension poly front end rebuild kit, with upgraded disc brakes all around.
-Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks on all 4 corners.

The car weighs 3140 with me in it and I launch at 6000 rpm and shift at 5800.

The problem is that when I launch my tires tear up a patch of the rubber on the starting line. The front end raises up on launch as well as the back end after that. It launches hard and straight, but I am getting flack from the prep guys at the track, they say that I am the only one tearing up the starting line, and have requested that I try to remedy the situation for next year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dorian
I feel that the track better take what ever a 3140 lb. car throws at it. I had a setup of SS springs mounted inward with a pinion snubber mounted on the differential ,3200 lb. car with slicks, 4 speed and would launch at 6000 rpm. My car launched just the way you described yours does and it did not tear up the track.

I bought my tires from a fellow racer, they had one season on them, I was on a budget and they are the only thing I didn't buy new.

Go figure...

I will buy new tires this winter, Goodyear slicks, I was thinking of 28 or 29 x 10.5.

thanks for your input.

Snow tires, you crack me up!! LOL

-
Back