Suspension Upgrade Update

-

TheContractorDude

Reaction score
So for those who are thinking of upgrading their suspension and brakes I just wanted to show what I did and the positive outcome I am now experiencing. Those with BB cars and original factory brake will want to listen in. So I upgraded the 4 by 5 bolt pattern the 4.5 by 5 and went with steel wheels for the factory look. So let's start with the order of rims from Coker Tires (4) 15 x 7 w 4.25 offsets and although they say the factory poverty caps will fit on these steel rims they don't really sit evenly flush on the rims. The original MOPAR steel rims have four areas on the rim that protrude out to capture the poverty caps where as the Coker's only have three. Maybe this is the issue, I don't know. I went with the Dr. Diff 10.75" disk brake kit on the front and 11" drums on the rear with new axles to support the new bolt pattern. Also installed a new master cylinder which makes braking effortless compared to the factory set up. Insane improvement, before I had to really apply stomping power to get my ride to stop especially downhill. The great thing is these are all MOPAR parts on the brake upgrade as I am sure the majority of you know. The only issue I had with Dr. Diff package was the rear brake shoes unfortunately were defective with the retaining pin holes being in the wrong position. But Cass sent out a replacement set so all good very happy with the purchase. Upper tubular control arms are from Firm Feel with alignment specs included. QA-1 adjustable strut rods to dial in the LCA no more flex with the stock set up. Boxed in the LCA and install urethane bushings and that is it for the front. Running the factory sway bar and torsion bars for BB A-Body.
IMG_0854.jpg

The rear just received 11" brakes with new axles, very easy install. I got rid of the super stock springs (these allowed room for 275/60/15 which I no longer have) and installed factory rated 130 lbs stock height springs with an adjustable front hanger set up to allow me to drop an inch for more tire tuck if needed. Factory height from bottom of rear bumper to ground is 17.4" and with the SS springs I was at 24".
IMG_20210512_175950639.jpg

Comparison of original 10" drum with new 11" drum
IMG_20210507_123254748.jpg

Defective brake shoes
IMG_5630.jpg

At the shop for alignment.
IMG_2973.JPG

Drove home handles great and brakes even better. 215/60/15 in the front and 255/60/15 in the rear.
Thank you cause all this great outcome was from all the research done on this forum I appreciate it!!

So for those who are thinking of upgrading their suspension and brakes I just wanted to show what I did and the positive outcome I am now experiencing. Those with BB cars and original factory brake will want to listen in. So I upgraded the 4 by 5 bolt pattern the 4.5 by 5 and went with steel wheels for the factory look. So let's start with the order of rims from Coker Tires (4) 15 x 7 w 4.25 offsets and although they say the factory poverty caps will fit on these steel rims they don't really sit evenly flush on the rims. The original MOPAR steel rims have four areas on the rim that protrude out to capture the poverty caps where as the Coker's only have three. Maybe this is the issue, I don't know. I went with the Dr. Diff 10.75" disk brake kit on the front and 11" drums on the rear with new axles to support the new bolt pattern. Also installed a new master cylinder which makes braking effortless compared to the factory set up. Insane improvement, before I had to really apply stomping power to get my ride to stop especially downhill. The great thing is these are all MOPAR parts on the brake upgrade as I am sure the majority of you know. The only issue I had with Dr. Diff package was the rear brake shoes unfortunately were defective with the retaining pin holes being in the wrong position. But Cass sent out a replacement set so all good very happy with the purchase. Upper tubular control arms are from Firm Feel with alignment specs included. QA-1 adjustable strut rods to dial in the LCA no more flex with the stock set up. Boxed in the LCA and install urethane bushings and that is it for the front. Running the factory sway bar and torsion bars for BB A-Body.
View attachment 1716080161
The rear just received 11" brakes with new axles, very easy install. I got rid of the super stock springs (these allowed room for 275/60/15 which I no longer have) and installed factory rated 130 lbs stock height springs with an adjustable front hanger set up to allow me to drop an inch for more tire tuck if needed. Factory height from bottom of rear bumper to ground is 17.4" and with the SS springs I was at 24".
View attachment 1716080171
Comparison of original 10" drum with new 11" drum
View attachment 1716080172
Defective brake shoes
View attachment 1716080174
At the shop for alignment.
View attachment 1716080177
Drove home handles great and brakes even better. 215/60/15 in the front and 255/60/15 in the rear.
Thank you cause all this great outcome was from all the research done on this forum I appreciate it!!
Car still looks like it has a bit of a rake in the back. Good job on your research & installation!

-
Back