Suspension

-

1974 dart

Reaction score
I have a 1974 dart and I was wondering what the best way was to reduce the body roll. Thanks

Sway bars
Good Shocks
Good springs and torsion bars
Sub frame connectors
Many other things can be done
If it is original springs should replace them

I have a 74 Duster. I just replaced the front and added a rear with an Addco sway bar kit 1 1/8 front and 3/4 rear. My car handles like newer car with the turns an off ramps and I love it! Definitely start with the front if you don't have one.

Install 0.940” or thicker torsion bars, 1 1/8th front anti sway bar, new bushings, shocks, and replace any worn front end parts as needed including rebuilding steering gear to firm feel level 2 and importantly new rear springs. Sub-frame connectors would be a good idea as well. Handling will be like a modern car, flat precise cornering, no braking dive, no wallowing and hopping around on rough roads.

Hold off before adding rear anti sway bar, and drive it for a while. A Bodies tend to bias to over steer if rear gets too stiff with too much rear sway bar or too stiff spring to soft front torsion bars. I installed all of the above using ESPO’s six leaf rear springs at factory ride height with no rear sway bar, and find the car is natural in over/ under steer. Then one has to dial in as much plus caster as possible, you may have to use a highly adjustable tubular upper control arm if problem solver off-set UCA bushings can’t get into enough + caster.

-
Back