swap 170 to 225? (FNG warning)

-

busteds13

Reaction score
i recently bought a Valiant with a non-running 170 and i've been working on getting it where it needs to be, but i just found a 225 on craigslist for $150. would this be a drop-in replacement? would anything be different that i'd need to hunt down? could i use my manual tranny on the 225?

sorry for being the newjack but the only other chrysler i've ever owned was a Lebaron :angry7:

As far as I know you'll have to do nothing. But before you buy that look on here for 225/'s someone was selling one recently for real cheap. And a few people were giving them away.

welcome to the site man. your swap should be a direct fit, bolt for bolt. good luck. if we can help we will. i promise.

oh i forgot to mention the transmission. make sure the new engine is from a manual trans car. you have to have the pilot shaft hole and bushing in the crank for the pilot shaft on your trans to fit.now is a good time to replace / rebuild / repair, throwout bearing pressure plate, resurface flywheel. it'll save you a headache in the long run.

The only fly in the ointment I can think of is the crankshaft register. This changed in '68. If the 170 is a '67 or older and the 225 is a '68 or newer you will need a different flywheel for the 225. If both engines are '68 or newer it's a straight swap, and if both engines are '67 or older it's a straight swap. If the 225 doesn't have a pilot bushing the crank will be drilled for it. Most of them have a bushing whether it was used or not. If the 225 is going into a '66 or older car you will also need to use the 170 oil pan, pick up, and dipstick. Hope this helps.

I have made this swap in a friends 65 Valiant. Wwe were putting in a 66 engine so there wasn't the crank issue but the 225 is taller so when you try to bolt up the exhaust pipe it is moved up. On my friends car the exhaust hit something (don't remember what it hit) we cut the pipe below the exhaust flange and a muffler shop welded in a new 2"section of pipe cost was $20

-
Back