swap 6 cyl auto to sb auto

-

dart6

Reaction score
I have a 68 dart 6 cyl and want to put in a sb and auto. What parts do i need to change to use the the sb auto, even better does anyone have those parts they're willing to sell .
I have shumacher engine mounts and larger radiator

Thx Brett

8 in a quarter will be sufficientyour also going to want to switch your front brakes you definitely are going to want better stopping poweryou mentioned you got a larger radiator so you will need to modify your wiring harness slightly under slant 6 to V 8depending on what did mission your new engine comes with you might have to wirein an electronic ignition control
switching rears might also involve changing your drive shaft length

You basically need a sb motor, sb auto trans.
Use the mounts and radiator you have now, if you use the sb 904 trans, everthing should bolt right in.
The wiring is pretty straight foward, pretty much plug and play depending on if you use a points distributor. Electronc ignition (recommended) requires minor wiring changes.
Just bolt it in, it pretty straight foward.

i should have been clearer, i understand all the other stuff. What i mean is will the existing trans linkages work on the v8 trans, i have heard they won't but no one has clarified.
If that is the case what should i be doing

thx

The shift linkage will be the same, but you will need a small block kickdown (carb to trans throttle valve) linkage. Dont think about running without a kickdown, the trans. will not live long.

I have a small block V8 A-904 transmission with short A body length tailshaft. It comes with all the kick down linkages, and throttle mount bracket. Also comes with flex plate , flex plate bolts , and torque converter. This came out of my parts car a 1974 dodge d'art. Worked pretty good actually. I am going 4 speed and dont need it. Looking to get $150 plus shipping, or you can come pick it up if close by.

Its located in abilene texas

Matt

Your 68 has a one wire switch on the transmission for neutral safety, and a switch on the shift linkage inside the car for back up lights. This style was used, if I remember correctly from 66 to 68 (and perhaps 69?). The 70? and up style has it all in one three wire switch on the transmission. The 74 transmission mentioned above will bolt in and work, but will not wire up properly to your switch. You cannot simply just change the switch in the transmission as the "rooster comb" inside the transmission that activates it is different as well. You would have to swap in your 68 valve body (even out of your slant six 904, should be no problem) and single wire switch, then it should be a bolt in affair.

parts? theres alot of parts to get in order to use a small block. due keep in mind a swap is expenisve. ive done this. keep in mind it took me abot 7 months and roughly abot 4,300 dollars later. although i now have a 8 3/4 rear with sure grip and to me a awsome built 360 thats fun to me. all slant cars have a 7 1/4 rear. a friend of mine drove his duster with one after he put a 318 in till it broke. then he put the 8 3/4 rear. i went the same way he did since i couldnt afford a A-body rear, i put a late 60s B-body rear in. had new perchs welded on and made new brake lines. oh big difference throttle cable for sb is 24". dont let the price tag i put hold u back just buy parts as u can. trust me im pretty cheap just ask my wife so shopped around for the best prices for everything :p btw u should be jumping on that price for the trans i got lucky cus here in socal everyone are ford and chevy guys. a local shop had a 904 rebuilt for 200 on sale from 350.

Your 68 has a one wire switch on the transmission for neutral safety, and a switch on the shift linkage inside the car for back up lights. This style was used, if I remember correctly from 66 to 68 (and perhaps 69?). The 70? and up style has it all in one three wire switch on the transmission. The 74 transmission mentioned above will bolt in and work, but will not wire up properly to your switch. You cannot simply just change the switch in the transmission as the "rooster comb" inside the transmission that activates it is different as well. You would have to swap in your 68 valve body (even out of your slant six 904, should be no problem) and single wire switch, then it should be a bolt in affair.

You are correct in the difference in the switches and rooster combs (which BTW changed in 69 to the 3 wire switch) but there is a real easy solution. Go to NAPA and buy a new pigtail for the 69 and up 3 prong switch and just use the center wire hooking it up to the existing neutral switch wire. The center prong on the 3 prong switch is the neutral saftey part of the switch. The outer prongs are for the back up lights which he won't need in a 68 car since it has the backup light switch on the shifter. Doing it this way eliminates all the mechanical parts swapping plus if he ever has to change the neutral switch the 3 prong switches are easy to find and cheap.

You are correct in the difference in the switches and rooster combs (which BTW changed in 69 to the 3 wire switch) but there is a real easy solution. Go to NAPA and buy a new pigtail for the 69 and up 3 prong switch and just use the center wire hooking it up to the existing neutral switch wire. The center prong on the 3 prong switch is the neutral saftey part of the switch. The outer prongs are for the back up lights which he won't need in a 68 car since it has the backup light switch on the shifter. Doing it this way eliminates all the mechanical parts swapping plus if he ever has to change the neutral switch the 3 prong switches are easy to find and cheap.

That is good to know, I never really thought about it that way, thanks for the info.

-
Back