Swap 904 to 727?

-

Jim Batchelor

Jim Boy
Reaction score
I am new at this and haven't been a member long. This question has probably been ask before but I wasn't on here to see it. I have a 66 Dart Gt.Changing from a 225 Slant with a 904 behind it to a 78 318 with 727 behind it. I do not have the 727 crossmember. Can I use the 904 crossmember? Having a problem finding one for the 727.

The cross members are the same for either. The 727 has a longer tail shaft and you will have to shorten your driveshaft.

The cross members are the same for either. The 727 has a longer tail shaft and you will have to shorten your driveshaft.
Thanks. One other thing I am dealing with on this conversion. Finding the rubber motor mounts is easy but I can not find engine support brackets to fit on the 78 318 then bolt the expensive motor mounts to them. The only thing out there is that expensive kit from schumader. Am I wrong?

Thanks. One other thing I am dealing with on this conversion. Finding the rubber motor mounts is easy but I can not find engine support brackets to fit on the 78 318 then bolt the expensive motor mounts to them. The only thing out there is that expensive kit from schumader. Am I wrong?
Got 727 yoke. Going to try to use the 7 1/4 rear end for a while. It is just going to be a street driver anyway.

Yep,If your swapping from a 6 to a V8 you need conversion mounts unless you have a v8 parts car. I would also upgrade the 9" brakes and axle too. That 7 1/4 won't last long

The kit #4695 they list says for 67-72 /6 to small block. maybe won't .work

Yep,If your swapping from a 6 to a V8 you need conversion mounts unless you have a v8 parts car. I would also upgrade the 9" brakes and axle too. That 7 1/4 won't last long
Already went to 10" on front. Been looking for 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear end they are expensive even if you can if an a-body one.
I guess if that 7 1/4 goes I will deal with it then.

Already went to 10" on front. Been looking for 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear end they are expensive even if you can if an a-body one.
I guess if that 7 1/4 goes I will deal with it then.
On the motor brackets I picked up a front end out of a 69 340 a-body, thinking I could use the k-member. Wrong, only to find out the 69 k-member is 1 3/4" wider that the 66. So back to school i go.

you need 66 and older. The 68-72 is the same,67 is 1 year only and 73-6 is the same

Guess I'll bite the bullet and buy the mount kit from Schumacher. Can I still use the steering rod and torsion bars off of the 69 v8 340 front end?
Guess I'll bite the bullet and buy the mount kit from Schumacher. Can I still use the steering rod and torsion bars off of the 69 v8 340 front end?
I will check with New Set Conversions.

Why not just find a set of 66 and earlier engine brackets for a V8, they're not that hard to find, and will bolt right to your 78 motor! The K frame is the same for V8 and slant 6 motors in 66 and earlier cars! I think you're going to find that you need to hammer the pinch weld in the tunnel to get the 727 to fit! And a new yoke and shorter driveshaft is also in order!

You also can not use the idler arm from the 69 K frame, it's not the same, but yes in the T-bars!

You also can not use the center link from the 69 K frame, that has to come from a 66 and earlier car, and needs to be from V8 car, unless your slant car already has one in place! More common to see a V8 centerlink in a 66 slant car than any other!

-
Back