Swap an La for a Magnum

-

64X2

Mohel at your service.
Reaction score
I have been looking into swapping out the La 318 in my car for a Magnum 5.2. I want to keep the manual overdrive trans in the car. I know that I will need a intake, already have a carb. I will also swap the ignition over, and use the dakota manifolds. Are the engine mount the same? What flywheel will I need to run the 10.95 clutch I have, is it externally balanced? Can I get 300hp with a cam/spring/lifter and intake swap? I am planning ahead, still have not found a 5.2 magnum. Anybody have advice, good or bad. Thanks in advance..

This will be going in a 64 Valiant.....the La engine I will take out will go into another project...

all 318 either LA or magnum are internally balanced.

I have been looking into swapping out the La 318 in my car for a Magnum 5.2. I want to keep the manual overdrive trans in the car. I know that I will need a intake, already have a carb. I will also swap the ignition over, and use the dakota manifolds. Are the engine mount the same? What flywheel will I need to run the 10.95 clutch I have, is it externally balanced? Can I get 300hp with a cam/spring/lifter and intake swap? I am planning ahead, still have not found a 5.2 magnum. Anybody have advice, good or bad. Thanks in advance..

This will be going in a 64 Valiant.....the La engine I will take out will go into another project...

JMO why not spring for the 5.9? The initial cost between the 5.2 and the 5.9 cant be more than 200-400 bucks and then you're basically at that 300hp mark with just the intake and a set of headers.

I guess I am thinking 5.2 swap involves less in the way of extra ($) things to change and headers for a-bodies are way out of my price range....

JMO why not spring for the 5.9? The initial cost between the 5.2 and the 5.9 cant be more than 200-400 bucks and then you're basically at that 300hp mark with just the intake and a set of headers.

If you keep your eyes open, you can find a set of headers for an a-body for pretty cheap. I bought some a while back that were never used for $100. Kijiji in my area has a used set going for $75. I live in winnipeg, Check it out.

A 5.9 will transform your car. The 5.9 is the same size and weight as the 5.2. For the same amount of work as a 5.2 install, it will be a whole lot more fun to drive and completely streetable.

Thanks everybody for the advice, but do to my lack of funds, what I can do and can't do is a major issue. I can get a 5.2 for between 300-500 bucks and 5.9 if I can find one goes for 700-1000 in my area, and usually needs rebuild. That puts it out of my range for cost. I understand that the 5.9 is more fun and can give me 300hp on tap. The added cost is just not feasible to me. I know that this hobby is not cheap, but I am forced to be cheap. So I do the best I can with what I have... again thanks everyone...

-
Back