Swap manual /6 with auto /6 - what do I need to do?

-

65s

Reaction score
So I'm going to swap out a /6 with another from an automatic car. Mine is a manual 3 on the tree. What will be different when putting the auto /6 up to my manual tranny?

If the engines are the same year probally nothing. Tell me the years if they are different. You may have to tap the crank snout as some were and some wernt.
Pm me if you get stuck.
Frank

I believe you will be ok if you stay with a engine from a 72 or older, I think it was in 73 they changed the flange on the crank to be a little larger. It's been a few years since I did it in my Dart. Oh and one other thing, on the newer models the pan is different so you might have ot put your old one on the new motor.

So I pulled out an unknown /6 in my '65 and put in a '72 Demon /6. The end of the crankshaft was larger. I had to have the hole in my flywheel machined larger to fit the new crank diameter. I took the flex plate or whatever you call it with me to the machine shop and he used that as a guide.

The other issue was the pilot bushing. The new motor was from an auto and although it had a hole in the end of the crank, there was no bushing. We had to remove the bushing from the old motor...not an easy task! My buddy used a small puller he has. In the end it worked out. Thanks for the tips!

-
Back